Shandon Valuation Roll 1920

Dear blog reader Welcome to the eighth part in a series, a list of the people, with house names where known, who were connected with Shandon in 1920. In 1920 Shandon had 76 households listed, a very slight increase on 1915. In 1915 Shandon had 75 households listed, a slight decrease on 1905. In 1905Continue reading “Shandon Valuation Roll 1920”

Shandon Valuation Roll 1915

Dear blog reader Welcome to the seventh part in a series, a list of the people, with house names where known, who were connected with Shandon in 1915. In 1915 Shandon had 75 households listed, a slight decrease on 1905. In 1905 Shandon had 82 households listed which was a vast increase on the anomalyContinue reading “Shandon Valuation Roll 1915”

Shandon Valuation Roll 1905

Dear blog reader Welcome to the sixth part in a series, a list of the people, with house names where known, who were connected with Shandon in 1905. In 1905 Shandon had 82 households listed. A vast increase on the anomaly of the valuation roll of 1895 when  only 16 households were listed but alsoContinue reading “Shandon Valuation Roll 1905”

Shandon Valuation Roll 1885

Dear blog reader Welcome to the fourth part in a series, a list of the people, with house names where known, who were connected with Shandon in 1885. In 1885 Shandon had 74 households, a huge increase from 1875 when Shandon had 32 households. The 1875 number was the exact same number as the 32Continue reading “Shandon Valuation Roll 1885”

Battrum’s Guide and Directory 1875

Dear blog reader, this week a name-rich source for any of you with ancestors from Shandon. Note some slightly different spellings which are exactly as they appeared in the directory. BATTRUM’S GUIDE AND DIRECTORY TO HELENSBURGH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD 1875 SHANDON INCLUDING BLAIRVADDICK AND FASLANE ESTATES Five miles from Helensburgh West. Omnibus leaves Helensburgh at 5pmContinue reading “Battrum’s Guide and Directory 1875”

Shandon architecture

Alt-na-Coille/Woodburn House Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house with later 19th century, single storey, canted bay to outer left. Squared and snecked whinstone with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips. Originally called Woodburn House. Ardchapel Named after the ancient Chapel which was sited north east of the railway line. BuiltContinue reading “Shandon architecture”

Sale by Public Roup of Lagbuie House and Oakbank Cottage

Greenock Advertiser, 19 August 1880 To be sold by public roup within the Faculty Hall, St George’s Place, Glasgow on Wednesday the 25th day of August 1880 at two o’clock afternoon (unless previously disposed of by private bargain). Lagbuie House and grounds and Oakbank Cottage, Shandon. Lagbuie is a two-storey villa containing three public-rooms, eightContinue reading “Sale by Public Roup of Lagbuie House and Oakbank Cottage”