Berriedale and the Fresh Air Fortnight Scheme

Dear blog reader

So far I have discovered that 2 mansions at Shandon were donated for philanthropic schemes – Ardgare and Berriedale. Below is a vivid description of a visit to Berriedale.

Jacqueline

************************************

GREENOCK TELEGRAPH AND CLYDE SHIPPING GAZETTE

MONDAY 9 MAY 1892

AT ‘BERRIEDALE’ ON SATURDAY

(BY A LADY CONTRIBUTOR)

The month of May is rich in promise, but as a rule, poor in performance; so, with only faint hints of green in the hedgerows, the magic word ‘Berry’ conjured up visions of sunny afternoons and glowing fruit. We therefore were tempted to go in search of ‘Berriedale’ in the keen May morning sunshine, and when we arrived at Helensburgh we found that there was a large company going on the same quest. Several omnibuses and brakes were rapidly filled with many of Glasgow’s best (in the best sense of the word) citizens; and then we all drove merrily away, with the fresh sea breeze blowing on our jaded city faces, and a ripple on the shining firth that seemed to bring hope and gladness to the shores. Rosneath Castle looked over at us from its awakening bowers of greenwood, and Ferniegair and Cairndhu, with many other men’s homes, were bright spots on our journey. Row Bay and the tiny park at ‘Neddy’s Point’, the Empress training ship, and some other craft, large and small, altogether made parts of a perfect sun-picture. Then past the quaint Church and village of Row; and admiring as we went each coy cottage and lordly mansion, we come at last to a modest gate, where our vehicle stopped, and our journey was over.

Down a sloping walk we trooped, children and old folks alike eager to see all that was to be seen; and lo! a pretty cottage, with all sorts of irregular roofs and walls and windows – a very paradise of picturesqueness. And this was Berriedale – otherwise ‘Ballikinrain Seaside House’, the gift of Sir Archibald Orr Ewing to the Fresh Air Fortnight Scheme, to be formally opened to-day.

The boys of the Empress were blowing and bugling on the lawn; the water was lying bright and clear at our feet. The green shores of the Gareloch opposite seemed very near, and the banks about us were speckled with primroses and violets; while the bluebells were seen shooting up, but not yet shedding their fragrance around. At the door stood Mr Mackeith and some other friends to welcome all comers; and once inside the hall we felt that indeed it was a ‘home’ to which we had come. For cups and saucers were laid out hospitably, and sandwiches and cake kept them company. So, after the pleasant drive a cup of tea or coffee was a real ‘refreshment’, especially as Mrs Mackeith herself acted as ‘Phyllis’, and was unwearied in supplying the wants of all.

Then the rooms had to be inspected one by one, and what bright, pleasant bed-chambers they were; just like the one in the ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’, where ‘Christian’ slept till break of day – ‘the large upper chamber whose name was Peace’. Each little bed had a cheery-coloured coverlet – not the snowy shroud-like white that seems too cold for young limbs; and the fresh air coursed through the open windows like a thousand tonics all to be taken at once. Little side stairs led into unexpected places, and we thought what a grand game of hide-and-seek could be played in the dusk if the kindly lady in charge sees fit.We are all delighted with this young lady, who expects to have great pleasure in her responsible and interesting work; and we trust she will meet with every encouragement from all who visit or hear of Berriedale.

By-and-bye we gather in the handsome dining-room to join in the dedication of the Home, and begin by singing the 100th Psalm, after which Rev Mr Webster reads without comment the Scripture about the separation of the sheep and the goats. It sounds sublime when no human words are added; and we all feel that true religion is in feeding the hungry and clothing the naked more than in ‘shibboleths’. Sir J N Cuthbertson gives a resume of the ‘fresh air’ work, which is stimulating and earnest, and Mr Campbell of Tilliechewan follows with warm-hearted Christian words. Mr Watson begs, in his own inimitable bachelor way, for toys and tennis-balls, and Mr J C Robertson advocates the advisability of children working for their more needful little brothers and sisters. He bids us all remember our own happy memories of childish holidays, and bids us give these tiny city bairns a sight of the ‘real country’. Rev Mr Miller, of Shandon, concludes with prayer, and our meeting is over.

It has been a strange and delightful hour; praise, prayer, and addresses in this ‘cottage by the sea’. And we feel as if this old home with its associations will have a future worthy of its past. For Sir Archibald Orr Ewing got his first wife here; and for them both these banks and braes must be full of ‘departed joys’. But they have taken the best way of hallowing what is dear in the past by giving it to others. And therefore this ‘Ballikinrain Seaside House’ will bless both him that gives and them that take. Many a little child from the slums of St Mungo’s will remember, when he grows a man, the happy fortnight when he ‘pu’d the gowans fine’ and ‘ran aboot the braes’ at Berriedale, through the kindness of Sir A Orr Ewing, and the Fresh Air Fortnight’s noble work.

Shandon Valuation Roll 1855

Dear blog reader

Welcome to the first part in a new series, a list of the people, with house names where known, who were connected with Shandon in 1855.

Hopefully those of you with ancestors from Shandon will find this list useful.

**************************************

H Baird
W Barr
Reverend N Brodie, Manse
Walter Buchanan
Archibald Cochrane
Miss Cullen, Ardchapel
John Dingwall
Alexander Fyfe, Ardgare
Malcolm Gillies
Alexander Gillies
William Gunn
John Hall
Alexander Knox
Miss MacColl, Linnburn
Mrs MacGregor
Donald MacKellar
Duncan MacKinlay
Mrs MacLellan
D T Maclellan, Cragmhor
Reverend Norman MacLeod
George Martin, Greenhill
Robert Napier
James Reid, Berriedale
Mrs Robertson
Henry Taylor, Stuckenduff
Duncan Turner
George L Walker, Woodburn
W Wallace

Shandon in January 1881

Dear blog reader, this is the sixth part of a series looking at the news in Shandon in particular weeks in history. In the week ending Thursday 13 January 1881 there had been a presentation at the Shandon Hydropathic Hotel to a member of staff and there were visitors to the Hydropathic Hotel from all over Scotland plus Manchester.

***************************

HELENSBURGH NEWS

THURSDAY 13 JANUARY 1881

SHANDON

PRESENTATION AT SHANDON HYDROPATHIC

A number of the servants of this establishment met in the sewing-room, on Friday last, for the purpose of presenting their engineman, Mr James McLean, with a timepiece on the occasion of his marriage. The presentation was made by Mr Wm Priestly in a few well-chosen remarks, to which Mr McLean suitably replied, and the proceedings terminated with a Scotch reel. The timepiece, which is a very handsome one, bore the following incription: ‘Presented to Mr James McLean, on the occasion of his marriage, by the servants of West Shandon House – January 14 1881’.

SHANDON HYDROPATHIC

LIST OF VISITORS

Glasgow – Mr John Henderson, jun., Mrs Henderson, children, nurses, Mr John H Forbes, Mr Smith, Mrs Thomson, Miss Thomson, Mr Harvey, Mr W Simson, Mr J Donaldson, Mr C A Nichol.

Aberdeen – Mr Milne, Miss Milne, Miss Ina Milne, Master Bertie Milne, valet.

Ayr – Mr White, Mr J Reid, Mr Lang, Mrs Lang.

Bonnybridge – Rev J Steel, Mrs Steel.

Dundee – Mr Monfries.

Dumfries – Miss J J Mitchell, Dr Hoggan, Mrs Hoggan.

Edinburgh – Mrs Avery, Miss Ker.

Hamilton – Mr Brown, Mrs Brown, Miss Lucy Brown, Master Brown.

Montrose – Miss H A Smith.

Paisley – Mrs Murray, Miss Murray.

Manchester – Mr Henry Russell.

Hatches, Matches and Dispatches Part 3

Dear blog reader

This is the third part in a series of Shandon hatches, matches and dispatches that have appeared in the newspapers.

I always find such finds very exciting in my own 30 years of family history research and I hope this helps anyone doing similar Shandon-based research.

Please note that for privacy reasons all entries will be 100 years old and over.

(Glossary: inst/instant means of the present month, relict means widow, ult/ultimo means of last month)

*******************************

Births

Morning Post 30 November 1887

Hartley – On the 25th ins., at Craigmore, Shandon, Dumberton-shire the wife of Frank Chisholme Hartley, of a son

Glasgow Herald 30 September 1890

Cunningham – At Broomfield, Shandon, on the 27th inst., the wife of J R Cunningham jun., a son

Northern Whig 7 August 1917

Sillars – On the 2nd August 1917, at 12 Claremont Terrace, Glasgow, the wife of Captain R G Sillars, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, of Ardgare, Shandon, Dumbartonshire – a son

The Scotsman 8 August 1921

Sillars – At Ardgare, Shandon, Dumbartonshire, on the 5th instant, the wife of Ronald Gordon Sillars, a son.

Marriages

Glasgow Herald 12 December 1872

At Greenhill House, Shandon, on the 11 inst., by the Rev Mr McCallum, James S Scouler, provision merchant, Paisley, to Barbara, third daughter of David Watters, Esq, Thurso

(Also in Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser 14 December 1872)

Dundee Evening Telegraph 13 November 1880

At Weybridge Parish Church, on the 10th inst., by the Rector, the Rev E J Rose, Canon of Winchester, James Walker Hartley, of Letrualt, Shandon, Dumbartonshire, and of the Inner Temple, barrister-at-law, to Laura Blanche, youngest daughter of William Currey, Esq. of The Heath, Weybridge, Surrey

(Also in the Dundee Advertiser 13 November 1880)

Dundee Advertiser 7 July 1882

At Peace Villa, Montrose, on the 6th inst., by the Rev George Jeffrey, DD, Glasgow assisted by the Rev John Elder, Busby, brother-in-law of the bridegroom, Andrew Stewart Bryce, jun., Glenfeulan, Shandon, to  Georgina, daughter of John Robertson, Esq., Montrose

(Also in Montrose Standard 7 July 1882)

St James’s Gazette 14 September 1891

Carden – Johnstone – At the Parish Church of Row, Captain Coldstream J Carden, The Connaught Rangers, son of the late Sir John Carden, Bart., of Templemore Abbey, County Tipperary, to Rose M P, daughter of the late Mr David Johnstone, of Croy, Shandon, Dumbartonshire, NB Sept 9

(Also in Home News for India, China and the Colonies 18 September 1891)

St Andrews Citizen 23 March 1895

At Ardgare, Shandon, on the 14th inst., by the Rev Mr Millar, MA, Adam Vallance, head bathman, Moffat Hydropathic, to Maggie, daughter of the late John Lawson, baker, St Amdrews

The Scotsman 6 August 1908

Watson – Stobo – at Greenhill, Shandon (the residence of the bride’s cousin), on the 5th inst., by the Rev Alex Brunton, Albert Street UF Church, Glasgow assisted by the Rev J Campbell, Trinity Church, Bridge of Allan, and the Rev Andw Watt, St Fergus, George Watson JP, Outhill, Longside, Aberdeenshire and of Melrose, Banffshire, to Catherine, younger daughter of the late Thrift Muldrum Stobo, Green Knowe, Bridge of Allan.  At home, 47 Gray Street, Aberdeen, 24th and 25th September.

(Also in Buchan Observer and East Aberdeenshire Advertiser 11 August 1908)

The Scotsman 5 April 1916

Sillars – Jackson – At Kilmarnock, and afterwards at the Parish Church, Sorn, on 3rd April by the Rev H C Begg, Ronald Gordon Sillars, Lieutenant, 9th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (TF) and Army Signal Service RE, only son of the late Duncan Sillars of Ardgare, Shandon, and of Mrs Sillars, Ardgare, to Alice Muriel, only daughter of John Jackson of Bardykes, Blantyre

Deaths

London Daily News 10 February 1852

Turner – Feb. 4, at Lagbone, Shandon, Jane McMurrich, relict of Mr D Turner, Bolernick, Dumbartonshire, aged 85

Greenock Advertiser 10 May 1859

At Buccleuch Street, Glasgow, on the 8th instant, Mr William Gunn, of Shandon Bank, aged 76

Glasgow Herald 29 July 1868

At Woodburn Cottage, Shandon, on the 27th inst., Frederick Irwin, infant son of Frederick J Hallows, Esq., 2 North Park Terrace, Glasgow

Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser 24 April 1875

At Woodburn, Shandon, on the 19 inst., in her 81st year, Rebecca, relict of Major William Cunningham, HEICS, of South Lodge, Ayr

Glasgow Evening Post 12 February 1879

Miller – February 11th, suddenly, at Broomfield, Shandon, aged 66, Hugh Miller, MD – friends omitted, are requested to accept of this intimation

Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette 9 March 1880

This morning, at Croy, Shandon, David Johnstone Esq.

North British Daily Mail 19 June 1880

Gordon – at Broomfield, Shandon, on the 18th inst., Jessie, only surviving child of the late Andrew Gordon, engineer and shipbuilder, Port Glasgow

(Also in Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette 19 June 1880)

North British Daily Mail 18 August 1880

Auld – At Broomfield, Shandon, suddenly on the 17th inst., Isabella Black Dill, wife of Wm Auld of 4 Park Terrace, Glasgow – friends will please accept of this intimation

Helensburgh News 28 July 1881

At Greenhill, Shandon, on the 20th inst, aged 2 ½ years, James, son of H H O’Bryen

Helensburgh News 25 August 1881

At Summerhill Lodge, Shandon, on the 19th inst., Ann Livingstone, wife of Donald Cameron, gardener

Helensburgh News 30 November 1882

At Aberdeen on the 25th inst., the Rev John Brechin, MA, formerly Free Church Minister of Shandon

Glasgow Evening Post 1 January 1883

MacLellon – December 30th, at Bolernick, Shandon, in his 71st year, George MacLellan, farmer – friends will please accept this intimation

(And the next entry in that newspaper column was ….)

Miller – December 29th, at Broomfield, Dumbartonshire, aged 67 years, Agnes Waddell Taylor, widow of the late Dr Hugh Miller of Broomfield – friends will please accept of this intimation

Glasgow Herald 14 May 1885

Lindsay – At Shandon Bank, Gareloch, on the 12th inst., aged 22, Willie, second son of Robert Lindsay

Helensburgh News 18 June 1885

At Bombay, on the 10 inst. Of dysentery, aged 24 years, W H Stoney Walker, LRCSI etc, late Resident Medical Officer in the Sick Children’s Hospital, Glasgow, younger son of W J Walker, Woodburn, Shandon

Ayrshire Post 10 July 1885

Patrick – At 2 Eglinton Terrace, Ayr, on the 6th July, John Gibson Patrick, of Greenhill, Shandon, aged 63 years

(Also in Ayr Advertiser 9 July 1885)

Glasgow Herald 21 December 1885

Cochrane – At Chapelburn, Shandon, on 18th inst., aged 68, Isabella Cochrane, youngest daughter of the late James Cochrane, farmer, Letrualt

Glasgow Herald 17 May 1893

Patrick – At Dumfries, on the 14 inst., Mrs Janet Craig, relict of John Gibson Patrick, sometime of Greenhill, Shandon

Glasgow Herald 3 October 1893

MacLellan – At East Woodend, Helensburgh, on the 2nd inst., in her 84th year, Ann MacLellan, daughter of the late George MacLellan, Bolernick, Shandon

Glasgow Herald 13 October 1897

MacLellan – At the residence of her son, Auchinvole House, Kilsyth, on the 12th instant, Anna Napier, in the 82nd year of her age, second daughter of the late David Napier and widow of the late D T MacLellan of Craigmore, Shandon – friends will please accept of this (the only) intimation.

(Also in Dundee Courier 15 October 1897 and Edinburgh Evening News 13 October 1897)

The Scotsman 6 February 1911

Addison – At Ardgare, Shandon, on the 4th inst., Helen Addison , beloved sister of Mrs Ruthven

The Scotsman 29 December 1911

Kerr – At Ardgare, Shandon, on27th inst., Margaret Euphemia Kerr, sister of the late John James Kerr, of Robertland.  Funeral private (no flowers).

The Scotsman 16 December 1915

Sillars – At Shandon, Gareloch, on the 15th inst., Duncan Sillars, of Ardgare, Shandon, in his 51st year.  Funeral on Saturday 18th, at 2pm, from St Georges Church, Glasgow to the Necropolis.  Friends desiring to attend will please communicate with Messrs Wylie & Lochhead Ltd, 96 Union Street.  This is the only intimation and invitation.

The Scotsman 16 September 1919

M’Donald – At Belmore, Gareloch, Dumbartonshire, on the 13th inst., Jane Kerr M’Donald, in her 83rd year, eldest daughter and last surviving member of the family of the late John M’Donald, Belmore.  Funeral from Belmore on Wednesday 17th inst., at 2pm, on arrival of the 12 o’clock train from Queen Street Station, Glasgow, to Shandon, thereafter, from Queen Street Station at 4.46pm to the Necropolis.  Friends will please accept this as the only intimation and invitation.  Those intending to be present will kindly send intimation to Messrs Wylie & Lochhead (Limited), 96 Union Street, Glasgow.

Battrum’s Guide and Directory 1875

Dear blog reader, this week a name-rich source for any of you with ancestors from Shandon.

Note some slightly different spellings which are exactly as they appeared in the directory.

BATTRUM’S GUIDE AND DIRECTORY TO HELENSBURGH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD 1875

SHANDON INCLUDING BLAIRVADDICK AND FASLANE ESTATES

Five miles from Helensburgh West. Omnibus leaves Helensburgh at 5pm daily; leaves Old Toll, Shandon at 7.50am in connection with the 9am train.

Archibald, George, gardener, Croy.
Baillie, Mrs, John, Jamieson’s Cottage
Baillie, Miss, dressmaker, Jamieson’s Cottage
Barr, John, coachman, Garemount
Brechin, Reverend, John, Free Church
Brodie, Andrew, keeper, Bolernick
Brown, Hugh, coachman, Belmore
Bryce, James, gardener, Letrualt
Cameron, Donald, gardener, Summerhill
Cavana, Robert, coachman, Woodburn
Cochran, Archibald, Chapelburn
Colquhoun, Angus, Ardenconnel Lodge
Cowan, Alexander, Glenfeulan
Cowan, John Black, MD, JP, Greenhill
Crichton, Charles, gardener, Blairvaddick
Cunningham, Miss, Woodburn
Cuthill, Lawrence, Bolernick Farm
Dick, John, Shandon Bank
Duncan, Walter, gardener, Garemount
Fisher, Andrew, coachman, Lagbouie
Free Church, Reverend John Brechin
McGee, Magnus, gardener, Berriedale
Gillies, Malcolm, labourer, Shandon House
Glen, John, Letterwell
Glen, Robert, Stuckinduff Farm
Hamilton, James, McKinlay’s Land
Hannighen, Mrs, West Shandon Lodge
Hartley, Mrs, Letrualt
Hoag, John, coachman, Blairvaddick
Hunter, George, gardener, Broomfield
Jamieson, William, JP, Shandon House
Johnstone, David, Croy
Keith, Duncan, Church officer
Kerr, James, Ardgare
Ley, John, butler, West Shandon
MacLellan, John Alexander, Craigmore
MacLeod, Professor George, HB, MD, FRCS, Funnery
Mathieson, John, JP, Ardgare
Marshall, William, gardener, Greenhill
Maxwell, James, gardener, West Shandon
Maxwell, Thomas, gardener, Ardgare
Miller, Dr Hugh, JP, Broomfield
Munroe, Alexander, grocer
McDonald, John, Belmore
McDonald, Mrs, Norman
McDonald, Mrs, Belmore
McDonald, Roderick, gardener, Shandon House
McFarlane, Alexander, Bolernick Cottage
McFarlane, John, Lennoxbank, Faslane
McGeorge, James, McKinlay’s Land
McKellar, Hugh, McKinlay’s Land
McPhail, Donald, gardener, Funnery
McPherson, Alexander, Woodside Cottage
McKenzie, Donald, gardener, Broomknowe
McKinlay, Duncan, ferryman
McLellan, Mrs, Craigmore
McLellan, Walter, JP, Blairvaddick
McLellan, Miss, Oakbank
McNicol, John, ploughman, West Shandon
Napier, Robert, West Shandon
Neil, James, coachman, Glenfeulan
Omnibus Station, Old Toll
Reid, James, Berriedale
Robertson, Donald, gardener, Glenfeulan
Ross, Hugh, gardener, Ardchapel
Scoular, Andrew, coachman, Greenhill
Sinclair, Duncan, Laigh Bolernick Farm
Shaw, Archibald, shepherd, Bolernick Cottage
Swan, William., LLD, Professor of Natural Philosophy, University, St Andrews, Ardchapel, Shandon
Taylor, Mrs, Henry, Stuckinduff
Taylor, Mr, gardener, Linburn
Thomson, Mrs, Linburn
Thomson, Thomas, coachman, West Shandon
Turner, Duncan, Lagbouie
Vallance, Thomas, road surfaceman, Old Toll
Watson, Gavin, gardener, Letrualt
Walker, Mrs G Lyon, Garemount
Weild, Mrs, Summerhill
Weir, Archibald, ploughman, Hill Cottage



Robert Napier’s Obituary

DUNDEE COURIER TUESDAY 27 JUNE 1876

DEATH OF MR ROBERT NAPIER

Mr Robert Napier, the celebrated engineer, died on Friday morning at three o’clock, at West Shandon on the Gareloch. He had reached a venerable age, having been born on the 18th June, 1791.

He was a native of Dumbarton, where his father carried on business as a master blacksmith, and was universally respected. Mr Napier was thus in a manner born into the iron trade, and was destined to participate in its development. At first he took his father’s business, and was esteemed an excellent tradesman, his workshop on settling in Glasgow being in a court off Canon Street, not far from the Old University, where James Watt had previously worked out his great invention in connection with the steam engine.

While beginning, however, in a comparatively humble department of iron craft, his active and ingenious mind soon induced him to branch into the manufacture of hydraulic presses and other machines, and ultimately to concentrate his energies on the construction of steam engines, in which he achieved the highest eminences and laid the foundation of his prosperous fortune. When he entered upon the trade of a general engineer, Mr Napier removed to Camlachie Foundry, where he obtained ample scope for the development of his business. Here he undertook the execution of very important contracts, and, among others, that for the pipes required by the Glasgow Water Company in bringing in a copious supply of water from the Clyde above the city.

The Vulcan Foundry, which he afterwards set up in Washington Street, became by degrees a mighty concern, and one of the lions of the city often visited by distinguished and sometimes illustrious strangers. It would be about the year 18[illegible]4 that he first began to acquire celebrity as a maker of marine engines, having supplied several Clyde steamers, which took an easy lead for the beauty, substantiality, and smooth working of their machinery. His very first effort in marine engineering consisted, we believe, in making the engines for a small paddle-steamer, named the Leven, which plied between Glasgow and Dumbarton. A cousin of the deceased, Mr David Napier, who had assisted the famous Henry Bell in the construction of the ‘Comet’, had removed to Lancefield from Camlachie Foundry when Mr Robert Napier entered upon its occupancy; and in time the latter gentleman again succeeded his cousin in the Lancefield Foundry, where a fresh impetus and greater room were afforded for his operations. The vessels engined by Robert Napier became the quickest on the river, and enjoyed an almost entire immunity from accident, owing to the thoroughness and solidity of their workmanship.

Throughout his career, from the time he entered into possession of Lancefield Foundry, Mr Napier had the good fortune to have his efforts seconded by a true mechanical genius, the late Mr David Elder, whose son, the late Mr John Elder, afterwards rose to distinction in the same walk. Mr Napier was also fortunate in the time in which his career of industry commenced. Marine engineering on the Clyde was in its infancy, with a vast future before it, and the opportunity was favourable for his at once aiding and sharing in its development. From the engineering of small river steamers, he gradually came to supply engines for first-class coasters, and for ocean steamers of the largest size, while with every fresh development of his now large business, he acquired fresh reputation, and an increasing amount of work.

He was thus brought into contact not only with the great shipowners of the country but with the Government, for whom he executed many important orders. His name as am engineer became in this way famous not only in England but throughout the world. For a long time his attention was exclusively devoted to engineering, but about 35 years ago he began to combine shipbuilding with the making of engines and from his building yard at Govan, the Black Prince, and other of the largest class of warships were launched. Some of the earliest Cunard liners also bore the Napier name and mark. He was indeed associated with Mr George Burns, Sir James Campbell, Mr McIver of Liverpool, and others, in the starting of that famous line. He engined the Britannica, Acadia, Caledonia, Columbia, Hibernia, Cambria, America, Niagara, Europa, Candia, Arabia, most, if not all, of which have now been superseded by larger vessels, both build and engined by Mr Napier, such as the Persia, 3000 tons and 850 horse power, the Scotia, 4000 tons and 1000 horse power (which is now laid up in Gareloch in consequence of the dull state of trade), and the China, 2540 tons and 550 horse power.

Mr Napier executed many important orders for the continental mercantile companies, and war vessels for the French, Turkish, Russian, Danish and Dutch Governments. For our own Government, besides the Black Prince, he build the Malabar, 4174 tons and 700 horse power; the Audacious and Invincible, armour-clad frigates, each 3775 tons and 800 horse-power. He also constructed a number of armour-clad turret vessels, and was the builder of the well known Hotspur, launched in 1870. But in this hurried sketch it would be impossible for us to attempt any detailed list of the many magnificent specimens of marine architecture which have given lustre to his name and renown to his native river.

The time of Mr Napier was so thoroughly engrossed with his extensive business that he took little or no part in municipal affairs. He was, however, a hearty supporter of the Glasgow Institute of Engineers and Shipbuilders, a useful member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and was ever ready to appreciate and encourage the genius of invention. His fame as an engineer and shipbuilder was worldwide, and he had many honours from abroad in recognition of his eminence. At the Paris Exhibition of 1855, where he was a juror, Mr Napier received from the late Emperor Napoleon the Decoration of Knight of the Legion of Honour. He was one of the committee who organised the Fine Art exhibition in South Kensington Museum in 1862, and indeed was never absent from the lists of the promoters of such objects of national and international importance. Mr Napier was president of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers during their meeting in Glasgow in the summer of 1864. He is succeeded in the firm of Robert Napier & Sons by his youngest son, Mr John Napier, who has conducted the business for a number of years. Mr James M Napier, the other son of the deceased is a member of several societies, and a well-known inventor.

From a social point of view, there was everything to admire and love in Mr Napier’s character. Benevolent in disposition, plain and unaffected in deportment, and affable and winning in his manners, he was personally a favourite with all classes. He was a great collector of articles of vertu, and a liberal patron of the fine arts, and his beautiful mansion on the Gareloch, where his declining years were spent, and where he has just closed his career, contains numerous treasures of rare and almost fabulous value. Mr Napier has left a grown-up family, but his wife pre-deceased him about six months ago.

Review of the Shandon Hydro on opening

GLASGOW HERALD WEDNESDAY 17TH OCTOBER 1877

SHANDON HYDROPATHIC INSTITUTION

The palatial structure at West Shandon, built by the late Robert Napier, and now the property of the Shandon Hydropathic Company, was yesterday publicly inaugurated, and is now open for the reception of visitors.

The existing building, on which considerable alterations and improvements have just been effected, is a large and handsome Elizabethan pile, commanding the beautiful scenery of the Gareloch. The entrance is in a lofty turreted tower on the east side, and the principal rooms are arranged along the south front, between which and the Gareloch is an ornamental flower garden. A conservatory, 165 feet long, runs out from the west front, and is to be connected with the drawing-room by a glass passage. Behind the great corridor is a large and handsomely finished room built by Mr Napier as a picture gallery, and behind this again are two other rooms used as a billiard-room and museum. The rest of the building, consisting of kitchen and servants’ accommodation etc etc is hardly in keeping in size with what ahs been described, and is badly arranged, having been added to and altered from time to time.

In acquiring the property the directors employed by Messrs Peddie, Kinnear & Peddie, of Edinburgh, to prepare designs for the additions and alterations required to fit the building for a first-class hydropathic establishment. The directors chose a design for the extension of the building on the north side. The accommodation it provides consists of 44 bedrooms on the ground floor and the same number on the upper floor. The rooms are reached form the main building by two covered bridges, that at the lowest wing being chiefly for the use of the servants, and an exit is also provided to the grounds by a door in the north side. The alterations on the main building consist chiefly of erecting a new back stair and some reconstruction of the partitions to adapt the rooms to their new purpose. The picture gallery is to be used as a recreation-room, and the museum and billiard-rooms are thrown into one and extended northward to form a large dining room 42ft by 39ft by 25ft 6 in high. The total number of guests’ rooms will be 132. The large conservatory will be used as a promenade or recreation gallery. Adjoining the main building, and connected with it by a covered passage, will be placed the bath buildings, in which will be a complete set of private and general baths for hydropathic treatment as well as for ordinary use. Sea water will be pumped up to the large swimming bath to each of the private baths it may be required for. The total cost of the additions and alterations has been estimated at about £17,000. We may here add that a new pier is about to be erected at the northern entrance to the establishment by the trustees of the late Sir James Colquhoun, Bart..

On the invitation of the directors of the company, a large party of ladies and gentleman from Edinburgh, Glasgow and townships on the west coast visited the establishment yesterday, and were shown over the building and the grounds. Reaching Helensburgh by rail, the company were conveyed to Shandon by one of the steamers belonging to the North British Railway Company, which was represented on the occasion by Mr John Walker, of Edinburgh, general manager, and Councillor Grierson, of Glasgow, one of the directors. Amongst other gentlemen present were ex-Baillie Morrison, Glasgow, chairman of the board of directors of the Hydropathic Company; Baillie John Ure, Cairndhu; Councillor Mowat, Glasgow; the Rev J L Fogo, Row; General Furlong, Merchiston; Mr C E Irwin, Glasgow; Mr Walter McLellan of Blairvaddich; Mr James Arthur of Barshaw; Major Colquhoun, Bencruach Lodge; Mr John Horsburgh, Edinburgh; Mr William R Lawson, Edinburgh; and Mr Robert Jamieson, Edinburgh. The weather was of that unsettled character which, usually described as on the whole unpleasant, was in the special circumstances of yesterday the occasion of singularly beautiful glimpses of sea and sky and shore-land. The summit of the hills surrounding the Gareloch were covered with snow, while the lower slopes glowed in the rich tints of autumn, and over all heavy storm-clouds heightened the wintry aspect of the scene, on rolling quickly away left the upland bathed in sunshine which seemed to belong to mid-summer. Under such rapid and effective transitions, the Gareloch revealed every hour new forms of beauty.

The visitors having gone through the grounds and inspected the establishment, an adjournment was made to the conservatory, where about 200 ladies and gentlemen sat down to an elegant luncheon, under the presidency of Baillie Morrison. After luncheon the chairman made a few remarks. Speaking on behalf of the directors, he cordially welcomed their friends who had honoured them by attending, and said they were anxious that everything should be done in the future to promote the comfort of their guests. They had resolved, the chairman added, to alter the hour of retiring for the nigh generally adopted in such establishments by extending it to 10.30pm, and they had also agreed that all outdoor and indoor games, such as cards, chess, draughts etc should be permitted and encouraged, with the enforcement of a strict prohibition against gambling. He concluded by thanking Messrs Grierson and Walker, on behalf of the directors, for having placed one of the steamers of the North British Railway Company at the disposal of their guests. Tea and coffee were afterwards served, and then the company returned to the steamer.

Sale of the Shandon collection part 2

Dear blog reader

The blog posts on this website started a few months ago with a report on one of the days’ sale of the Shandon collection and, at long last, here is a second part in this series. Enjoy.

*************************************************************************

THE SCOTSMAN TUESDAY 15 MAY 1877

THE SHANDON SALE

LONDON, MONDAY NIGHT

The sale of the second portion of the Shandon collection commenced in the rooms of Messrs Christie, Manson & Woods, at one o’clock today.

The objects of art offered were miniatures, bijouterie, watches, snuff-boxes, carvings in ivory and Italian carvings in wood. There was but a scanty attendance in the room, most of those present being dealers, and the bidding was exceedingly slow, owing to the long time taken in the examination of each object when it was put up, those attending the sale having evidently not looked at the various articles befroehand as much as is generally the case. Of the various objects offered today, the snuff-boxes, many of which were very handsome, fetched the best prices.

The sale commenced with lot 1501, a miniature on enamel by H P Bone of Inigo Jones, after Van Dyck, which went for £3; and the next, a fine head of the Magdalen, by the same painter, after Guido, brought £3 15s. Another of the Earl of Westmoreland fetched £4 12s 6d and one of the Duchess of Hamilton, after Lely, £5 10s. An effective oval enamel of Mirevelt by Bone went for £5 15s. A small portrait of the Duc de MOntpensier fetched 3 gs, and a miniature of the poet Thomson by Bone, after Aikman, 6 gs, while a fine portrait of Rembrandt, which came next, was cheap at £7. A large square enamel by Bone of Lavinia Countess of Spencer, after Reynolds, ran up to £21. Then came Louis XIV, a remarkably fine small oval enamel, on gold, went to Mr Boore for 26 1/2 gs. A tiny oval enamel by Zincke (1517) fetched 5 gs, and another of a lady in a blue dress £9 5s. A large enamel of Dr Johnson, after Sir J Reynolds, by W Essex, ran up to £26. The next lot, Frances Marchioness of Camden, a very fine enamel by Bone after Reynolds, fetched £37. The last miniature, one of the Duke of Wellington, by Bone, realised 10gs.

The bijouterre came next, commencing with a gold ring with landscape and cows in wax, which went for £1 18s. A badge of the Pitt Club, with cameo portrait of Pitt set in silver gilt fetched £3 15s. The next lot, a gold medal with the arms of the City of Glasgow, formerly worn by the Lord Provost, realised 7 guineas, and a large gold brooch which followed, £9. A pendant jewel, a jacinth in the shape of a vase, and three pearls sold for the same price, and a gold ring with the Lord’s Prayer written on the space of 3-16ths of an inch in diameter, for £17. A Cinque Cento jewel for a lady, hanging round the neck, with pearls, stones and enamel, ran up to £35. A Dresden porcelain etui went to £8, and one of Battersea enamel, mounted in gold, for 10 gs. A needlecase formed as a bambino, of Dresden, mounted in silver, which was exhibited at Leeds, realised £22.

The watches came next, the first offered being one in an oval case of silver gilt and rock crystal, by Marc Gerard, Paris, form the Soltikoff Collection, which ran up to 10 1/2 gs. A small watch by Lagisse, in silver gilt case, went at £3 10s, on by Dollent, Paris (1554), for £4 10s, and the next, an oval silver clock watch by Johann Satler, for £6. A silver watch by Fromantin, with Time drawing the chariot of Sun, sold for £7. An oval watch by Dudunt of Blois, from the Soltikoff collection (1559), a very fine old specimen, was soon run up to £28, and another, from the same collection, bought 7 1/2 gs. A small gold watch by Gretton (1561) fetched £3 5s, and a small silver clock-watch by Marckwick (1564) £3 10s. The next lot, a silver gilt repeating watch by Hallier, London, set in brilliants, exhibited at Leeds, went at £14 10s. A gold watch by Brillon, Paris, enchased gold case, with plaques of Dresden porcelain, exceedingly fine, ran up to £3 10s. A small watch by Hubert Ronen, with rock-crystal back and front, went for 10 1/2 gs. A silver gilt repeating watch (1573) fetched £4; and one by Kange, in gold case, 7 gs. A gold watch by Coulin & Bry, Geneva, went at 10 gs; and the next lot, one by Le Blanc, Paris, in gold case, dial and hands set with brilliants, for 12 gs. A watch by Berthon, in gold case, enamelled (1578), realised £4; and the final lot of the watches today was a small one by Marchand et Fils, Paris, in oval gold snuffbox, the dial set with diamonds, which was run up to £26, and was sold, like many others, to Mr Grindley.

The first of the snuff-boxes was an octagonal bloodstone box, gold-mounted, a beautiful specimen, which was knocked down for £36. A circular box, with a pastoral subject, went for 7 1/2 gs. A horn box, on gold pique work (1585), fetched £3 5s; the next, of tortoise-shell, in the form of a ship, £5 10s; and the following one, of polished jasper, £3 15s. An oval box, of beautiful moss agates, mounted in gold (1592) soon ran up to £21 10s. The next lot, a one of black japan lacquer, fetched 6 gs. An oval tortoise box, with pique work (1597), brought £5; and the next lot, a similar one, exhibited at Manchester, the same price. An oval gold and silver gilt box, with a moss agate on the top, went to 10 gs. An oval box, made of the wood of Shakespeare’s mulberry tree, with a gold medal on the lid, formerly in the possession of David Garrick, realised £10; and the next lot, an oblong enamelled box, 7 1/2 gs. A round tortoise-shell box, with an oval portrait on the lid, mounted in gold, fetched £14; and the next, with an oval enamel, £5 10s. A box with oval enamel of the Nativity brought 5 1/2 gs; a circular iron box (1612), and the next lot, one of white enamel, were sold together for 11 gs. An oval-shaped Mocoa stone patch box, mounted with chased gold (1617), was sold with the preceding lot, a wooden box, for £20 10s. Then came an important lot, an oval gold box, time of Louis XV, with dark purple panels and an oval enamel miniature of a lady, which was bought by Mr Josephs at £85. A shaped oval silver box, which came next, went for 27 gs. The last of the snuff boxes, a round shell box lined with gold, with a miniature of Anne of Russia, was not dear at 12 1/2 gs.

The ivory carvings came next in order. A small bust of a man (1622) sold for £9, and an oval medallion, with a portrait of a lady, temp. Queen Anne, for £8. ‘Morning’ and ‘Night’, two reliefs after Thorwaldsen, were sold together for 52 gs to Mr Lawrie, of Glasgow. ‘Mercury and Pandora’ after Flaxman, followed for 12 gs, and a statuette of the Madonna and child for £3. a box carved with masks brought 4gs; a large upright plaque carved with the Crucifixion (1632 ) went for 5 1/2 gs, and a small statuette of the infant Christ, the next lot, for £15 to Mr Whitehead. A pair of Indian figures, partly gilt, fetched £5 10s. A small statuette of Mars, with lance and shield, 17th century, went to Mr Lawrie for £7, being £1 for every inch of its height. A pair of statuettes (1637) were sold for 33 gs. Then came a set of four small statuettes, French work of the 17th or 18th century, from Alton Towers, which were knocked down for 21 gs. A statuette of a man, set with small rubies and diamonds (1639), went at 30 gs, to Mr Whitehead. A small pounce bottle. carved with Bacchanals. Dutch work (1700) went for £2 15s. A statuette of a mendicant with a wooden leg, and an old women, the companion, seventeenth century work, and about eight inches high, were sold for 27 gs, to Mr Lawrie. A statuette of an infant Bacchanal, the last ivory, fetched £4.

Italian carvings in wood followed. An small box, and a boxwood spindle, carved with figures, went for £3 5s; and the lower portion of a distaff, which followed, for 2 gs. A curious desk knife, with long boxwood handle, seventeenth century, went for 6 1/2 gs; and another, also beautifully carved, on a thin stem, for 10gs, to Mr Lawrie. A Venetian candlestick, of sandlewood (1655), fetched £9 10s, and two more followed for 7 1/2 gs. A pair of Venetian walnut wood bellows, with carved wood of the 16th century, very handsome, ran up to 17 gs. The next lot, ‘The Conversion of Saul, a composition of numerous figures, fetched 18 1/2 gs. A Venetian oblong casket of sandalwood, carved (1660), went to 10 gs. A pair of walnut wood brackets fetched 6 gs. Then came another pair of Venetian bellows of walnut wood, with figures, partly gilt, which brought 15 gs, while a pair which followed, with handsome nozzle, sold for 13 gs. A cedarwood carving of Jezebel, eleven inches high, with many figures, realised 9 gs. a pair of Neapolitan statuettes followed, of ivory wood, of a mendicant and his wife, which brought £5 10s. The last lot today was a Neapolitan group in ivory, with drapery of carved wood, and an aged person carrying a Cupid on his back, very curious, and about 19 inches high, which was knocked down for 17 gs to Mr Lowenstein.

The total realised by today’s sale was £1410, making the grand total up to the present time £35,755.

The MacLeods of Fuinary

Dear blog reader

This week’s blog posts highlights 2 happenings at Shandon associated with the MacLeod family who owned the Fuinary house.

The MacLeod family were predominantly Church of Scotland ministers (a long line of ministers going back to the eighteenth century) but also had medical men in their family.

Reverend Norman MacLeod, who married Agnes Maxwell, was a Church of Scotland mininster, poet and writer.

Norman and Agnes had 3 sons, Norman, Donald and George. Norman and Donald also became Church ministers and George (George Husband Baird MacLeod to give him his full name) was a surgeon.

George Husband Baird MacLeod:

Norman junior’s grandson was George MacLeod who founded the Iona community.

George MacLeod founder of the Iona community:

Below are 2 reports of some of the happenings of the MacLeod family at Fuinary.

Jacqueline

**************************************************************************************

SUNDAY POST 22 APRIL 1917

SHANDON SHOOTING ACCIDENT

Shandon, Saturday.

Mr Alexander P Lyon, head gardener to Lady MacLeod, Fuinary, Shandon, met with a distressing shooting incident.

It appears that Mr Lyon had gone to shoot a hawk which had been making depredations among the poultry, and was carrying the gun behind him with the barrel downwards. It is supposed that it came in contact with his right foot, and went off, and the contents were discharged into his right heel.

He was removed in the ambulance to the Victoria Infirmary, Helensburgh.

THE SCOTSMAN 26 MARCH 1935

LATE REV W H MACLEOD

The death has occurred at Fuinary, Shandon, Dumbartonshire, of the Rev William Houldsworth MacLeod, late minister of Buchanan parish. Mr MacLeod, who was 71 years old, was the last surviving son of the late Sir George Husband Baird MacLeod, MD, LLD, Professor of Surgery in the University of Glasgow. He was educated at the University of Cambridge, where he obtained the degree of BA in 1885, and at Glasgow University, where he received the BD degree in 1888. Licensed by the Presbytery of Glasgow, he became assistant at Govan, and in 1892 he was ordained at Buchanan.

In 1916-17 Mr MacLeod acted as chaplain to the late Duke of Montrose, Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.

Car accident 1904

GREENOCK TELEGRAPH AND CLYDE SHIPPING GAZETTE 1 OCTOBER 1904

MOTOR CAR ACCIDENT ON GARELOCHSIDE

Last night about seven o’clock an accident occurred by which a young lady received injuries, and damage was done to a car and a house and a van. The motor car belonged to Mrs Kirkpatrick, of Lagbuie, Shandon, and at the time, besides the driver, there were on the car Miss Jane Kirkpatrick and other members of the family. The motor was proceeding towards Helensburgh. Between Glenfeulan and Fuinary the road takes a sharp bend, and before rounding this the driver of the motor blew his horn. The road is downhill, and the motor at the time was running free-wheel. On turning the corner the driver found the road in part blocked by a lorry and a spring van. It is alleged that the lorry and van were abreast of each other, thus making it impossible for the motor to pass.

The motor driver put on his brake and clutch, and came to a dead stop just in front of and nearly touching the van. The horse reared, and came heavily down upon the bonnet of the motor, then rolled sideways, and became jammed between the motor and the lorry, receiving very severe injuries, while the van was also damaged. The fore part of the motor was also damaged by the horse’s plunging. Miss Kirkpatrick, who had been seated beside the driver, had her foot jammed, and was taken to a neighbouring cottage, and medical aid summoned. The driver of the van escaped unhurt.