Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house with later 19th century, single storey, canted bay to outer left. Squared and snecked whinstone with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips.
Originally called Woodburn House.
Named after the ancient Chapel which was sited north east of the railway line. Built in 1854 by James Smith and extended in 1865.
2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house with later single storey, canted bay to outer left. Squared and snecked whinstone with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips.
A large Italianate mansion which had a decorative scheme designed by J J Burnet in 1884. Demolished around 1980.
1937 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan Arts and Crafts house. Painted harl with ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; string course; battered cills.
Aldonaig associated with Broomknowie
Aldonaig is an earlier to mid 19th century house with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled, rambling-plan house. Rendered with chamfered, golden sandstone margins; chamfered arrises and quoin strips. Projecting bracketted eaves.
Broomknowie is now demolished but both Aldonaig and Broomknowie reputedly formed the headquarters of a large company of distillers in an area notorious for illicit whisky distillation.
Designed around 1850 by J T Rochead for Sir James Anderson, Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1846 to 1851.
2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan, Scots Baronial house with square keep. Stugged, squared and snecked, honey-coloured sandstone with ashlar margns and dressings. Stop-chamfered reveals; base course; string course; triangular pedimented dormerheads; crowstepped gables.
Subsequently sold to the Donaldson family of shipping fame, then used as a children’s home and finally used as council offices.
Designed in 1977 by Michael Charles Henderson.
Early 19th century with a cottage-feel.
Coach-house and stables (formerly belonging to Bashley)
The remains of the demolished Bashley. An 1880 courtyard arch remains.
Built around 1830 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan villa set on raised plateau. Harl with sandstone margins and dressings. Chamfered reveals. Strip quoins; eaves band; base course, band course. Windows directly under eaves; projecting eaves bracketted eaves. Noted for its winter garden.
1834, designed by Sinclair of Caithness. with mid 19th century billiard room addition (1865) at south. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled Tudor-gothic, rambling-plan villa. Rendered with sandstone margins and quoin strips. Ornamental bargeboards. Chamfered reveals. Tudor hoodmoulds.
The associated lodge is earlier 19th century. Single storey, asymmetrical, Gothic lodge. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar margins and quoin strips. Pointed arch windows with chamfered reveals; roll-moulded surrounds. Eaves band; base course; string course. Projecting bracketted eaves.
An Arts and Crafts era gamekeeper’s cottage.
An early 19th century classical house.
Earlier 19th century with additions to rear and south of late 19th century and early 20th century. Single storey over raised basement, 3-bay block with bay to south and 2 bay wing to north; rectangular-plan villa; conservatory attached at south end. Harling with yellow sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; band course; eaves band and cornice; strip quoins. Figurative urns. Architraved openings to principal elevation.
A late Victorian fishing lodge.
Earlier 19th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan cottage. Rubble with painted ashlar sandstone dressings and margins to main elevation and red sandstone margins to side elevations. Projecting eaves; base course; quoin strips.
The separate cottage is built around 1840. Single storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan cottage with bay addition and outbuildings recessed to right. Whinstone rubble with sandstone margins. Eaves band; quoin strips; base course; overhanging eaves.
The cottage was originally named Shandon Bank and is possibly the summer cottage belonging to Robert Napier before he built West Shandon.
Named after the Gaelic for mill. Built in 1855 and extended in 1864.
Began in 1836 by Samuel McCall, a Glasgow merchant. Remodelled in 1884.
2 storey with attic, asymmetrical villa with Baronial and Jacobethan details. Harled with sandstone margins and dressings. Chamfered arrises. String courses. Base course. Corbel cornice. Hoodmoulds.
Originally the Linnburn stable block. Converted by Jack Notman for T Campbell Lawson in 1972.
Erected in 1844 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled, former manse to adjoining former Church. Whinstone with sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Chamfered reveals. Base course, cill course, quoin strips, decorative bargeboards.
Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Harl with painted ashlar sandstone margins and dressings; base course; eaves band; quoin strips; projecting bracketted eaves.
1855 house, extended 1864. 2-storey, 5-bay asymmetrical villa with single storey block and conservatory to north; rambling- plan villa; Jacobethan details. Painted harl with sandstone ashlar dressings and margins. Base course; quoin strips; string course; hoodmoulds; bipartites, stone mullions; chamfered reveals; eaves cornice.
Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Painted harl with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips. Projecting bracketted eaves.
The Gables aka Greenhill
Mid 19th century. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan, gabled villa with Baronial details built into rising ground at east. Sandstone and whinstone rubble with pinnings; droved sandstone margins and dressings; chamfered arrises. Base course; quoin strips.
Originally called Greenhill.
Erected in 1844 whilst the congregation met temporarily in the malt house of a nearby distillery. Designed by John Burnett with an addition in 1883 designed by William Landless. Behind the Church, the school and schoolmaster’s house, later the Church reading rooms, were built in 1845-6 and designed by John Burnet.
Steeple reduced and the building converted into flats in 1984.
Originally rectangular-plan hall Church, now T-plan with tower, tower and transepts added in 1883 additions, along with porch and buttresses. Rubble sandstone and whin with ashlar quoin strips and dressings. Base course. Eaves band.
Designed by in 1849 by Charles Wilson for William Jamieson. Wilson was one of the most fashionable architects in the Glasgow area in the 1840s.
2-storey with attic, asymmetrical, rambling-plan, Baronial house with Jacobethan details. Coarse cement render with ashlar dressings and margins. Base course. Crowstepped gables. With a series of Victorian alterations and additions including in 1883 by John Honeyman.
A reform school from 1965 to 1986 then sold to the Ministry of Defence.
Earlier 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay rectangular- plan villa. Painted harl with sandstone dressings and margins. Base course; timber eaves course; quoin strips.
Stuckenduff was built as the dower house of the former Italianate mansion of Ardgare which was demolished around 1980. Stuckenduff coach house and stables, which also formed part of the Ardgare estate, lie to the north-west of the house.
Stuckenduff coach house and stables are earlier 19th century. Single and 2-storey Italianate range of coach house, stables and office buildings. Rectangular-plan with 2 projecting wings forming inverted F-plan ; campanile tower and glass houses. Painted harl with droved honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings.
Designed in 1920 by A N Paterson & Stoddart. Red sandstone Celtic cross with 3-stage shaft; ring cross head and pedestal base; Art Nouveau detailing. Relocated away from the Church when the Church was converted into flats.
Funded by Robert Napier the marine engineer and used to house his vast collection of art and books.
The house was started in 1851 and designed by J T Rochead.
After Robert Napier’s death in 1860, the house and grounds became the Shandon Hydropathic. Thereafter the building was used as an emergency hospital then as a hotel.
In 1960 the building was demolished and the grounds cleared as part of the development of the submarine base. The south lodge still survives.
The south lodge was designed by J T Rochead in 1852. Single storey and attic, Jacobethan former lodge to West Shandon House. T-plan with entrance tower in re-entrant angle. Lime-washed rubble with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings. Shaped gables; hoodmoulds; quoin strips; blank plaques; decorative finials.