Glasgow Herald 10 July 1900
The announcement of the death of Mr Andrew Jackson Kirkpatrick which appears today in our obituary, will be read with feelings of deep regret by a wide circle of friends. The sad event was not wholly unexpected. About six months ago Mr Kirkpatrick had a paralytic seizure, but he recovered so far that he was able to be removed in the beginning of last month from his house in Park Terrace to Lagbuie, Shandon, where the family usually spend the summer months. The improvement in his health continued and he was sufficiently well to enjoy a drive in the beginning of the week. A relapse subsequently took place, from which he failed to rally, and he passed away peacefully at an early hour yesterday morning.
Mr Kirkpatrick was the son of Mr Thomas Kirkpatrick, who carried on business for many years in Glasgow, and was trained in the firm of which he ultimately became the principal partner. When he entered it as a boy it was known under the title of Messrs Robertson & Caldwell, chemical brokers and merchants, afterwards becoming Caldwell & Middleton. On the retirement of Mr Caldwell, Mr Middleton, who will be remembered as one of the members for Glasgow, assumed Mr Kirkpatrick as a partner, and after the death of Mr Middleton the title of the firm was changed to Messrs A J Kirkpatrick & Co.
Mr Kirkpatrick was also a member of the firm of Messrs Kirkpatrick & Barr, coal exporters, Newcastle, and of Messrs Kirkpatrick, Barr & Guthrie, merchants, London.
Though actively engaged as the head of a large and successful business, in the conduct of which he earned universal esteem, Mr Kirkpatrick found time in which to do much useful public work. In the promotion of the interests of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, in particular, he took a deep interest, and not a little of the success of its latter years has been due to his labours, to the unassuming dignity, tact, and courtesy with which he discharged the varied duties entrusted to him. From 1889 to 1898 he filled the office of chairman of the council, and in the latter year he was elected president. He was a liberal patron of the fine arts, and possessed a valuable collection of paintings, many of which in successive years have graced the walls of the exhibition. He was a member of the executive of the approaching International Exhibition, and was chosen to fill the office of sub-convener of the oil paintings section.
Mr Kirkpatrick was also a lover of books, and a discriminating collector. He was convener of the committee which carried through so successfully the recent Burns Exhibition.
In municipal affairs Mr Kirkpatrick never took any prominent part; he was more identified with political movements as a consistent supporter of the Conservative party, and he was some time since appointed vice-president of the Junior Conservative Club. He was a Justice of the Peace for the County of City of Glasgow, and a director of several industrial and commercial concerns. He was a member of the Free Church – in the city being connected with Renfield Free Church, which he has been for a number of years an elder in the Free Church of Shandon. Mr Kirkpatrick leaves a widow and a family of three sons and four daughters.