The Scotsman 19 September 1947
German prisoners of war and members of the British staff of Stuckenduff Camp, near Helensburgh, have sent a wreath to Provost Minihan, Port Glasgow, as a tribute to the 20 people who were drowned in Sunday night’s motor boat disaster at the entrance to the Gareloch.
Two Greenock cinemas are to give Sunday shows in aid of the distress fund, which now totals £629. Thirteen bodies are still missing.
Sunday Post 27 March 1921
Plant taken away to England.
The hammers are now silent in the much talked of established known as the Shandon Experimental Station and with the exception of a few officers and watchmen and one or two workmen the staff has cleared off.
All the machinery has been dismantled and the bulk of it taken to England. What the Disposals Board will do with the elaborate and costly fittings at Shandon remains to be seen. Meantime Helensburgh shopkeepers as well as the workmen are the only persons who will regret the closing down of the establishment.
[Blog readers, please get in touch if you know anything further about the experimental station. Experimental in what regard?].
Aberdeen Press and Journal 16 July 1898
The baths connected with the Shandon Hydropathic Establishment, Gareloch were destroyed by fire yesterday. The main building was saved.
The building on fire, in addition to the ladies and gentlemen’s baths, contained the engine room and laundry, with large water tanks on the top. These tanks are only filled once a week and the men were filling them when the fire occurred.
The Helensburgh Fire Brigade was summoned without delay by Mr Neaves the hydropathic manager and a very prompt response was made.
The Aberdeen Weekly Journal 5 March 1881
The death is announced at Summerhill, Shandon, after a brief illness of Mr John Bell. Although not a public man, in the ordinary sense of the word, Mr Bell was well known in commercial circles as the senior member of the firm of John Bell and Sons, fleshers, 170 Arygle Street.
His name came prominently before the public in connection with large shipments of dead meat and cattle from America to this country – a species of trade which his firm introduced and developed to an enormous extent both in England and Scotland.
Also printed in the Glasgow Citizen.
Greenock Advertiser, 19 August 1880
To be sold by public roup within the Faculty Hall, St George’s Place, Glasgow on Wednesday the 25th day of August 1880 at two o’clock afternoon (unless previously disposed of by private bargain).
Lagbuie House and grounds and Oakbank Cottage, Shandon. Lagbuie is a two-storey villa containing three public-rooms, eight bedrooms and two bathrooms with laundry and kitchen accommodation. The offices comprise coachman’s house, gardener’s house, three stalled stable, hay loft, coach-house and accessories. Feu duty £22 11s 3d.
Oakbank comprises dining room, drawing-room, five bedrooms and the usual kitchen accommodation; gas and water; small stable and coach house. Feu duty £2 16s.
The grounds comprising one compact property are tastefully laid out and extend to over six acres.
Upset price £4000.
Apply to Turnbull & Parnie, house factors, 27 Union Street or to Bannatynes Kirkwood and M’Jannet, writers, 145 West George Street, Glasgow.
Private Peter Anderson, Scottish Rifles
Captain James Walker Downie, Royal Army Medical Corps. Died 28th October 1918 aged 25. Son of James and Elsie Downie of 4 Woodside Crescent, Glasgow. Buried at Basra War Cemetery, Iraq.
Private A Elrick, Kings Own Scottish Borderers
Private A MacKenzie, Seaforth Highlanders.
Lieutenant Iain MacLellan Miller, 2nd Batalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Died 25th September 1915 aged 20. Son of Reverend Hugh and Annie Miller of The Manse, Shandon. Buried at Cambrin Churchyard Extension, Pas de Calais, France.
Lieutenant Walter Douglas Miller, 15th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps and 120th Clyde Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died 2nd October 1916 aged 24. Son of Reverend Hugh and Annie Miller of The Manse, Shandon. Commemorated at Arras Flying Services Memorial (no known grave).
Private George Mills, Gordon Highlanders.
If you have any further information on these men, please contact me.
Edinburgh Evening News 16 May 1877
Yesterday was the second day’s sale of the second portion of this great collection and the choice value of some of the articles drew a great number of art connoisseurs and other s to the rooms of Messrs Christie & Manson in King Street, St James.
Amongst a number of miscellaneous collections a tortoise-shell cup cover and saucer was prominent and fetched £16 10s; a gold watch by Tavania of Paris with two dials £32 2s; a watch by Fevner of Paris in a gold enamelled case £50; an oval gold snuff box by Nember with striated agates the lid inlaid with a brown enamel representing a bust of Plato £82; a ramshorn table snuff box formerly belonging to Rob Roy MacGregor and in possession of the late Duke of Gordon’s factor £2 5s. The total sum realised for the day’s sale of 163 lots was £2024 9s.