Sale of the Shandon collection part 4

Dear blog reader

Here is the fourth part of the series on the sale of the contents of Shandon House, also known as the Shandon collection. Enjoy.

*********************************

THE SCOTSMAN SATURDAY 19 MAY 1877

THE SHANDON SALE – LONDON, FRIDAY NIGHT

The last day’s sale of the second portion of the Shandon collection took place today. There was a fair attendance, those present, as before, being principally dealers. There was a good deal of keen competition for some of the watches, Mr Boore, of the Strand, being the principal buyer.

The sale began with Oriental objects, most of them small and fetching small prices. A string of beads and some knife handles of Japanese manufacture fetched 2gs. A Japanese vase, with enamel, went for £1 10s, a round enamel box and cover for 18s, and a box and bronze dish for £1 12s. Two Chinese double-carved rosewood stands and two triple ones, with scroll design, ran up to £45. Two lots together, satin Chinese coverlets, fetched £6 10s. Oriental bronzes came next, a Chinese vase and cover (2175) going for £1 14s. A tripod Chinese bronze vase, chased and inlaid with gold and silver, ran to £8, and the next a vase Damascened with silver and gold, 7 1/2 inches high, to £9. A Japanese cup and saucer brought £2, and a string of beads £2 5s. A Chinese dragon and duck went for £1 15s. A round bowl and cover realised £3 15s. A fine cylindrical cup, with flat tray, went for £1 8s; and a vase and cover, with elephant head and foot for £2 2s. A pair of baskets sold for £1 15s; and a Chinese tripod case with raised handles for £2 10s; the bronzes concluding with an oval vase, on four legs, at £2 15s.

Miscellaneous objects of virtu came next. The spurs of Napoleon I, with autograph letter of the Duke of Wellington to the Prince Regent realised 11gs. A dressing-case, covered with shagreen, mounted in silver, went at £5 15s; and a pair of shoe buckles of gold and silver, along with a pair of gold ones, at £2 5s; while a Dutch Bible, in tortoiseshell binding, dated 1712, sold for £3 10s. A fine boat-shaped cup of amber, with a mermaid, went up to £12; and a silver seal, the next lot, to £2 15s. An astronomical telescope, by Dollond, with mahogany tripod stand, fetched £6; and a small Russian bowl, of enameled silver, 3gs. A fine cup and saucer of Dresden enamel ran up to £29, and a pair of silver gilt salt cellars £12. A ecuelle of gros bleu fetched £4 12s 6d; a set of twenty enameled buttons sold for £3; and an old French enamel of the Holy Family in gold, set with stones, for £5 15s. A small enamel on gold followed for £3 5s, and a Russo-Greek enameled triptych, of nickel, for £3 10s.

More knives, forks, and spoons followed. The first, a jointed silver fork and spoon, ws sold for £7 17s 6d, and the next knives and forks realised £6 10s. Then two knives and forks and a parcel of gilt spoons went together for 5gs. A silver gilt spoon, with engraved bowl, realised £12; and a curious silver one, dated 1609, 11 1/2 gs. A set of three spoons with maple-wood bowls and silver gilt shafts, surmounted by figures of the apostles, went for £13 10s, and a silver gilt one and a boxwood one together for £4. A finely carved boxwood one together for £4. A finely carved boxwood spoon, with scenes from the Passion, went for £1 10s, and then two carved boxwood ones for 6 1/2 gs. A silver gilt spoon, with enameled handle, fetched £1 14s, and a tobacco stopper and corkscrew £1 11s. A knife and fork, with carved boxwood hilts of Italian work, went at 6gs, and a paper knife, with ivory handle, for 3 1/2 gs. A sheath for a knife, from the Bernal collection, went for £5 10s, and a sheath for £4 10s. Another very similar, dated 1589, went for £4; while a case exhibited at Leeds, containing three finely carved knives and forks, realised £27, the last four lots being bought by Mr Boore.

More watches followed, the first noticeable lot being a clock watch by Gretton, London, at £2 7s 6d; and soon afterwards a silver one by Le Roy, Paris, went at £1 13s, and one by G Smith, London, for £3 6s. A locket and case fetched £16, and a small antique English watch by Kolb £3 5s. A fine watch by Kersting, Copenhagen, in case of agate and jasper, mounted with gold, silver, and diamonds, was knocked down to Mr Boore for £22, and a gold watch by Wheeler went for £8. A small oval watch in silver case sold for £3 15s, and one in a ring set with garnets for 10 1/2 gs. A curious globular watch went for £7 10s, and an oblong one in an agate case for 6 1/2 gs. A watch with two dials, and one by Hill, London, of the time of Charles I, realised £8 each. A French watch by Carron, Paris, with enameled back realised £4 5s, and one with ivory works, formerly the property of the Empress Marie Louisa, £10. A French one in a gold case by Cadet, Nancy, fetched 3gs, and an English gold watch by Payne, chased and enameled, £13. A French watch in gold case, with a figure of Liberty, fetched £4 5s, and one by Hubert, Rouen, £11. A watch in gold case, set with pearls, went at £7, and one by Ephine, Paris, with open back, at £6 10s. A small French watch in agate case, with diamond buttons, a veritable gem, went up to 27gs, and another like it, in case of turquoise enamel, to 20gs. A very beautiful small watch, by Denis Champion, Paris, in enameled case, £10, and a silver one, in the form of a pigeon, 11gs. A chronometer in silver case, by Harrison, dated 1770, a duplicate of one for which the inventor received a reward of £20,000 from the Board of Longitude, went to Mr Boore at 160gs. A watch in pierced metal gilt case fetched £10, and an antique gilt one enameled £5 2s 6d. An English gold repeater watch, by John Crawford, London, in outer case of chased steel, went to £36; and oval one, partly gilt, by Masters, fetched 8 1/2 gs; and an antique oval clock watch in pierced metal gilt case, which was the last, went at 10gs.

Some clocks followed; the first, a table clock in square steel case, went at 6 1/2 gs; and the next, a German one, at £5 10s. A small German timepiece sold for £3 12s 6d, and one in a spherical silver case, surmounted by a dial, for 8gs. Two dials, a marker with dials, and four models of escapements, fetched £11, and a curious old German clock of architectural design, dated 1831, 15gs, while a similar one went at £4. A clock in skeleton case, by Muirhead & Son, Glasgow, went for £8 5s, and one by Leptrole, in mahogany case, for 6gs. A clock by Detouche, with glass dial, fetched 4gs; and a handsome old German clock, of fine workmanship, in the form of a temple, with female figures at the sides, ran up to 61gs. A very pretty small clock in the form of a globe fetched 6gs; and an hexagonal table clock, in marqueterie case, by Schmidt, Hamburg, ran up to £16. A table clock, with a metal case, fetched £16; and another, with St Sebastian on ebony pedestal, £56. A square table alarm clock, of gilt brass, went at the same price; and one in engraved brass fetched £5 10s. A curious upright table-clock, with radiating dial, mounted with coloured stones and enamel, made by Berg, Augsberg, in 1719, sold for £16 10s; while the last lot today, a table-clock formed as a reclining figure holding a globe, the figure moving its hand when the clock strikes, was knocked down for 22 guineas to Mr Lawrie.

The total realised today was £1151, which brings the sum realised by what has been sold of the collection up to £43,830 odd. There are six more days sale in June, from the 4th to the 7th and on the 11th and 12th, the last of these days concluding the auction.

Shandon Mutual Improvement Association

HELENSBURGH NEWS THURSDAY 3 APRIL 1884

SHANDON

SHANDON MUTUAL IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION

A most successful conversazione, held in the schoolroom on Monday evening, brought the work of this association to a close for the winter.

There was a large turn-out of members and friends, and the duties of the chair were most ably discharged on the occasion by the hon. president, Mr W MacLellan, jun.. After an enjoyable tea, the chairman delivered a most interesting address. He congratulated the association on the success which had attended all its meetings, and then went on to speak of the many advantages for self-culture enjoyed by the present generation. Altogether the speech was very able and neat, and was most favourably received by the audience.

A long programme of music and readings was then entered upon. Misses Carmichael and Findlay were equally successful in the rendering of their songs, and made a distinct impression. Mr Harrison has made himself quite a favourite in the district, and maintained his reputation. Mr Blair, from Garelochhead, sang a humorous Highland song, which caused great laughter; and Mr MacLellan delighted the audience by his rendering of ‘Three Jolly Sailors’. A humorous trio and a quartette were an agreeable variation, and were both rendered with accuracy and effect.

One of the features of the evening was selection for violins, played by Messrs McCallum and Ingram with great sweetness and purity of tone. The audience gave unmistakable signs of the appreciation of their efforts. Throughout the evening accompaniments on the pianoforte were played with the greatest judgment and tact by Miss Lymburne. Mr Blair, from Glasgow, showed himself a most accomplished elocutionist, and gave two humorous readings with great success. He also sang in an inimitable style a Japanese song. A laughter-provoking story was read by Mr Priestley.

The secretary’s report, which was of the most gratifying character, was read by Mr A Vallance, and its adoption moved by Mr A S Bryce in a thoughtful and considerate address. During the evening Mr Alex Vallance, who is retiring from the post of secretary, was presented with a field glass by the members of the association. The presentation was made by the Rev. Mr Miller, who bore strong testimony to the value of the work done by Mr Vallance, and expressed their regret at the loss of his services. Mr Vallance, who was received with cheers, made a suitable acknowledgement. Representatives from kindred societies at Garelochhead and Row were present, thereby testifying the kindly feelings of these societies for each other. The meeting was brought to a close with the customary votes of thanks.

Prizes won by sons of road surveyor

HELENSBURGH NEWS 29 MAY 1884

SHANDON

A PICTURE OF TROPHIES – We have just been shown a beautiful photograph, executed in the most artistic style by Mr John Stuart, of Helensburgh, of a valuable and varied collection of cups, medals, bronzes, inkstands, tankards, clocks, timepieces, writing-desks, etc, which have been won by the two sons of Mr Vallance, the late surveyor on the roads.

The collection, which is of a varied description, is neatly arranged on a large stand running from the floor to a height of about seven feet and comprising in all seven shelves, on which the prizes, to the number of between fifty and sixty, are displayed to the best possible advantage. Although some of the prizes have been gained in nearly all the various branches of athletics, the majority have been carried off in hurdle-racing and broad jumping, in which two competitions Tom excelled.

In the latter competition, when at his best, Tom had few, if any, his equal this side of the border, and his best performance, which was at the sports of the Queen’s Park Football Club in September, 1881, still stands unrivaled, doing the splendid distance of 21 feet 11 inches, which has never been equaled in Scotland. His most successful day was at the Rangers’Football Club sports, in the same year, when he lifted no fewer than four first prizes – the broad jump, with a distance of 21 feet 6 inches; the hurdle race, obstacle race, and single-handed tug-of-war.

Besides his ability as an athlete, Tom was selected on no less than four occasions to represent Scotland in the annual International Football Match between England and Scotland, a post which he filled with credit to himself, as well as his country. Alick, although considerably younger than his brother Tom, has, however, along with him been very successful as an athlete, and at times has beaten some of the very best men. He has never gained international honours in football, but, had he continued playing, there is little doubt but such an honour was in store for him.

1884 alterations to Shandon Church

HELENSBURGH NEWS THURSDAY 7 AUGUST 1884

SHANDON

THE CHURCH – After undergoing considerable alteration and repair, the Free Church here is to be re-opened on Sabbath first by the Rev Dr Marcus Dods, from Glasgow.

The work was undertaken with a view to increase the accommodation, but the appearance internally and externally has been completely changed. To increase the sitting accommodation, transepts have been built at the east end of the building, and the whole Church has been seated anew. The pews which have been put in are in quite a new style. There is no book-board, but a receptacle lower down has been provided for the books, and a kneeling-board for prayer, similar to that in some of the London Churches, has been added. The pews are extremely comfortable and roomy, and are made entirely of pitch pine, the lining round the walls being also of the same stuff.

An ornamental screen at the entrance porch and a new pulpit add also to the internal appearance, and altogether the effect is very pleasing. Externally, the building has also been quite altered. Stone buttresses at the corners give it the necessary massiveness, and a stone porch takes away from its former bald appearance. The most prominent feature, however, is a spire which is being built at the right side of the building. Chaste in design, beautiful in proportion, and rising to a height of some eighty feet, it will prove quite a architectural feature in the district.

The whole work has been executed in fine style, and reflects great credit on the contractors and workmen, who are mostly local. The following is a list of those by whom the work has been executed:- Mason, James Spy, Row; joiner, William Jack, Helensburgh; slater, William Thom, Helensburgh; plasterer, William Thomson, Helensburgh; plumber, Robt. Shedden, Row; glazier, W Malloch, Glasgow; upholsterers, Cumming & Smith, Glasgow. The plans were provided and the whole work done under the superintendence of Mr Landless, architect, Glasgow.

Shandon Valuation Roll 1865

Dear blog reader

Welcome to the second part in a series, a list of the people, with house names where known, who were connected with Shandon in 1865.

By 1865 Shandon had grown compared to 1855, in 1855 there were 28 households and in 1865 there were 32 households.

Hopefully those of you with ancestors from Shandon will find this list useful.

**************************************

George Aikman
Reverend N Brodie, manse
Walter Buchanan
Archibald Cochrane
Miss Cullen, Ardchapel
John Dingwall
Alexander Fyfe, Ardgare
Malcolm Gillies
Alexander Gillies
William Gunn
John Hall
Alexander Knox
Robert MacCallum
James MacCallum
Miss MacColl, Linnburn
Dugald MacColl
Mrs MacGregor
Donald MacKellar
Duncan MacKinlay
Mrs MacLellan
D T MacLellan, Cragmhor
Reverend Norman MacLeod
Miss MacPhee
George Martin, Greenhill
Alexander Munro
Robert Napier
James Reid, Berriedale
James Robertson
Henry Taylor, Stuckenduff
Duncan Turner
Thomas Vallance
George L Walker, Woodburn

Shandon 1879 into 1880

Dear blog reader, this is the ninth part of a series looking at the news in Shandon in particular weeks in history.,in this case the tail end of 1879 into 1880. Some of the highlights were a professor who could read character, summer season debate about accommodation to let and a very busy Hydro with worldwide visitors including from Moscow, Hildesheim and Dublin.

*****************

HELENSBURGH NEWS, THURSDAY 4 SEPTEMBER 1879

SHANDON

PROFESSOR THORBURN – On Saturday last great interest was manifested by all the visitors to the Hydropathic by the visit of Mr Thorburn. From the time he arrived until about 10.30pm he was as busy as he could be giving delineations of character of some of the visitors and a great many of the servants of the establishment. Immediately after dinner the recreation room was re-seated, and a large assemblage of ladies and gentlemen at once filled the place, when the young Professor delivered a lecture, which was much enjoyed, and closed amidst the applause of the audience.

*******************

HELENSBURGH NEWS, THURSDAY 1 JULY 1880

SHANDON

THE SEASON – Now we are all enjoying healthy and invigorating weather, and although there are few houses to let, the demand has been great, and not one remains to take up either for July or August. Of course the Hydropathic Establishment has its great attractions, but instead of hurting house letting it would seem to improve it, as although the greatest comfort and convenience is afforded in the house, it is meant greatly for night or week boarders, whereas those who would like to enjoy themselves at the shore prefer private residences. The Hydropathic, however, is being largely patronised, and the more that its facilities for health and recreation are made known, it will, we believe, be the more readily taken advantage of. It is certainly most cheering to see the numbers who leave the establishment after breakfast to patrol the shores.

************

HELENSBURGH NEWS, THURSDAY 12 AUGUST 1880

SHANDON

SHANDON HYDROPATHIC LIST OF VISITORS

Mrs Hutton, Mr McMurchie, Ayr
Mr, Mrs, Misses, and Masters Black, nurse and child, Edinburgh
Mr, Mrs and Miss MacDougal, Seville
Mrs Irevine, Glasgiw
Mr, Mrs and Masters Laird, Glasgow
Mr John Bricket, Mr R Reyburn, Kilmarnock
Mrs Q O Turnbull, Miss Stevenson, Kilmarnock
Miss Bowman, Edinburgh
Mrs and Miss Walker, Newport
Mrs Beattie, Cupar, Fife
Miss Fullarton, Dundee
Mr Paterson, Edinburgh
Mr Roberts, Mrs and Miss Turnbull, Selkirk
Mr and Miss Thomson, Falkirk
Miss H Thomson, Dollar
Mr H Walker, Dundee
Miss Quigley, Edinburgh
Miss Park, Ayr
Mr Wright, Mr King, Leicester
Mr and Miss Currie, Glasgow
Mr Speedie, Abernethy
Mr, Mrs and Misses Brooksmith, Cheltenham
Mr Fraser
Mr Wilson, Broughty Ferry
Misses Schultzen, Hildesheim; Miss Schultzen, Dundee
Mr Coleman, Glasgow
Mr R Y and Misses Green, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Mr Munro, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Mr Smail, Dundee
Mr D Brand, Grangemouth
Miss K Fullarton, Ardestie
Mr and Mrs Melville, Falkirk
Miss Rose, Elgin
Messrs Oliver, Hawick
Mr and Mrs J Morrison, Glasgow
Mr F L Morrison, Glasgow
Mr and Mrs J Thomson, Alloa
Mr Gibson, Mr Foulis, Mr Fergus, Glasgow
Mr, Mrs and Miss Smith, Glasgow
Mr Gardner, Mr Macredie, Mr Martin, Mr Drummond, Mr Stewart, Mr Russell, Glasgow
Mr Wither, London
Mr McMurchie, Ayr
Mr Nelson, Wakefield
Mr and Mrs J Smith, Bonnybridge
Mr and Mrs Smith, Glasgow
Mr and Mrs Cunningham, nurse and child, Glasgow
Mr, Mrs and Mr H W R Child, Miss Churchill, Miss Benny, London
Mr, Miss and Master Donaldson, Miss Boswall, Edinburgh
Gervase Taylor, Dublin
Mrs and Miss Carson, London
Mrs, Miss and Master Gibson, Moscow
Mr, Mrs and Misses Keith, Aberdeen
Mr and Mrs Marshall, London
Miss Knight, Moffat
Mr and Mrs Brand, nurse and children, Glasgow
Miss Gordon, Glasgow
Mrs Thomson, Dalkeith
Mrs L Stephen, children and nurses, Aberdeen
Misses Ada and Maude Palmer
Mr, Mrs, Miss, and Masters Muir, Glasgow
Mr, Misses, and Master Milne, and valet, Aberdeen

Thank you – 1st anniversary

Dear blog readers

Just a short post to thank you for your loyalty, friendship and extra information offered over the last year. I’ve just worked out it was one year past on 29th May when I relaunched both of my local history blogposts and I have had such fun researching since then and sharing with you.

Again, many thanks for your support.

Best wishes

Jacqueline

4 Shandon Obituaries

Dear blog reader

This week I have decided to combine 4 obituaries dated from 1879 to 1911 for people who lived at Shandon to give you a better idea of the kind of people who lived at Shandon.

I do hope you find this interesting.

Jacqueline

***********

GREENOCK ADVERTISER, THURSDAY 13 FEBRUARY 1879

HELENSBURGH, DEATH OF DR MILLER

Dr Hugh Miller, of Broomfield, Shandon, died suddenly on Tuesday afternoon, at his residence.

Dr Miller in the early part of his life was a practitioner in Glasgow, and thereafter in Bombay. About 17 years ago he returned to this country and took up his abode at Broomfield, where he resided for 14 years. He was one of the most energetic and faithful office-bearers of the Free Church, and conspicuous for his amiable and benevolent disposition.

The deceased was 66 years of age, and leaves a wife but no family.

***********

HELENSBURGH NEWS, THURSDAY 9 SEPTEMBER 1880

DEATH OF MR DUNCAN MCLELLAN

It is with regret that we have to announce the death of Mr Duncan MacLellan at his residence, Annock Bank, on Monday afternoon, in his 63rd year.

Mr MacLellan was the youngest son of the late Mr George MacLellan, and was born at Bolernick Farm, Shandon, February 1818. He was educated at Garelochhead School, after which he removed to Glasgow, and afterwards became a partner with his brothers in the well-known firm of P & W MacLellan. In 1858 he married Christina, daughter of Mr John Latts, Dumbarton. In 1865 he purchased Annock Bank, where he has resided since that time.

Some three years ago he retired from business owing to infirm health. He has been an elder of Park Free Church for many years, and was much esteemed for his unostentatious and Christian example. Mr MacLellan leaves a widow, four sons and two daughters, the eldest of the former being in the business.

**********

AYR ADVERTISER, OR, WEST COUNTRY JOURNAL, THURSDAY 9 JULY 1885

DEATH OF A PAISLEY DISTILLER

Mr John Gibson Patrick of Greenhill, Shandon, died at 2 Eglinton Terrace, Ayr, on Monday morning.

Deceased who was over 60 years of age, was well known in Paisley for many years as chief partner in the firm of Messrs Harvey & Co, distiller, Saucel. A few years ago he retired from the firm, and spent a good deal of time travelling about the country. For some time he had been in failing health. Although connected with Paisley so long he was a native of Ochiltree, Ayrshire, and was the proprietor of several estates throughout the west country.

***********

THE SCOTSMAN, FRIDAY 29 DECEMBER 1911

THE LATE MISS KERR, OF SHANDON, GARELOCH

Late on Wednesday evening Miss Kerr of Ardgare, Shandon, died at the age of eighty-five years.

Miss Kerr was well known as a most generous contributor to Church, missionary, and philanthropic schemes, and her many benefactions will be greatly missed in the Helensburgh and Gareloch district.

Her father made a fortune in tobacco trade in Virginia, and returning to Scotland he purchased the estate of Robertland, in Ayrshire, which remained in the family. On the death of the father, the only son, Mr John Kerr, and his two sisters, Misses Elizabeth and Margaret Kerr, settled down at Ardgare, Shandon. Mr John Kerr died eleven years ago and his elder sister a few years later. Miss Margaret was the last of the family, and by her death, in terms of her brother’s will, the family estates to a large extent will go to benefit the general funds of the United Free Church of Scotland.

Sale of the Shandon collection part 3

Dear blog reader

Here is the third part of the series on the sale of the contents of Shandon House, also known as the Shandon collection. Enjoy.

*****************************************

THE SCOTSMAN FRIDAY 18 MAY 1877

THE SHANDON SALE

LONDON, THURSDAY NIGHT

There was a fair attendance at the Shandon Sale today, and some unusually keen competition among one or two dealers.

Most of the articles fetched a good price, more especially the knives, forks, and spoons, and some of the rock crystal cups and trays, which, indeed, always command a good price if genuine. The watches sold fairly, and there were one or two very fine lots of ivory and wood carving disposed of. The highest price realised today was for a vase of Celadon porcelain, which went up to £300.

The sale commenced with a number of knives, forks, and spoons, the first lot going for £1 2s; six boxwood spoons with silver handles went for £1 6s. A curious boxwood spoon, the bowl carved with a portrait and inscription, and date 1699, ran up to £4 6s. A silver knife and fork, with agate handles, silver-mounted, fetched £1 2s. Twelve boxwood spoons, the ends of silver, with figures of the Apostles, from Mr Farrer’s collection, sold for 5 gs. A ‘Cuchillo de Albacete’, dated 1693, fetched £1 1s. Nine antique knives and forks with buck-horn handles, from Mr Norton’s collection, were sold for 6 gs, and an ivory spoon, carved with the daughter of Herodias, for £5 10s. A set of twelve silver German Apostle spoons went up to £9 5s, and a set of fine old German spoons of parcel gilt silver to £6. A pair of silver gilt spoons with fluted bowls realised £5 10s, and an Apostle spoon, and one with a mask, £5, while a steel carving fork, with chased handle, fetched £3 12s 6d. A silver gilt knife, fork, and spoon, with ivory handles, carved with a triton, amorial and scrolls, were knocked down for 13 1/2 gs. A desk penknife and eraser, with long ivory handles, went to Mr Lawrie for £3 10s. A carving knife and fork, with mother of pearl and steel handles, Italian work, were bought by Mr Boore, for £14 10s. A razor, with ebony handle and pique work, fetched £3 7s 6d, and a pair of knife and fork handles of boxwood, carved with human masks, very fine work, ran up to £27 10s. A paid of ivory fork and knife handles, carved with animals fighting, sold for £7 10s. A knife and fork, with cut agate handles, fetched £1 6s; and two knives (2028 and the next lot) were sold for 9 1/2 guineas. A folding knife, fork, and spoon, of metal gilt, in blue enamel handles, went for £1 18s.

Then came a pack of old French playing cards, painted and inlaid with satin, in stamped vellum case, with silver clasp, very curious, which went to Mr Pike for 9 guineas; while a complete set of gold, silver, and copper coins of George IV, fetched £11. Crystal came next, and the first lot, a crystal ball cut in facets, went to Mr Lawrie for 5 guineas. Then an oval fluted tray of rock crystal, mounted with silver filagree, fetched 14 guineas. A small malachite ewer and onyx cup together realised 5 guineas. A paper weight, formed as an eagle on a malachite stand, fetched £5, and a rock silver crucifix, mounted in enamelled silver gilt, and set in garnets, was not dear at 20 guineas. A tray of jasper and a beautiful moss agate cup and saucer fetched £4 6s. The next two lots (2051 and 2052) brought 16 guineas; and then a small goblet of rock crystal, engraved with arabesque Italian work of the 10th century, went for 6 guineas. An oval rock crystal cup and cover, surmounted by a statuette 7 inches high, ran to £21. a cylindrical cup and cover of rock crystal, 8 1/2 inches high, fetched £30; and then came a large oval cup of rock crystal on stem, mounted with silver gilt and gold, and with enamels, exhibited at the Art Treasures, of remarkably fine work, which was knocked down for 175 guineas. Next came ewer and salver of engraved rock crystal, mounted in silver-gilt, which fetched £132, going to M Goupil. A rock crystal reliquary, with a relic of the Virgin, went for £9 15s. A tea service of Russian agate (2061) ran up to £36; and then followed more of the clocks and watches.

A small English gold watch, by Halstead, London, inside case of jasper and crystal, sold for 8gs, and the next, by Williamson, in silver case, for £4 15s. A gold repeater, by Stumbels, London, outer case inlaid with jasper, realised £21 10s, going to Mr Pike; and a large watch showing the days of the month etc, by G Margetts, ran to £21. A small watch, by Vigne, London, in onyx case, mounted with diamonds, fetched £24, and the next, in a similar case, 12 1/2 gs, both going to Mr Boore. A very small watch, with seconds dial, in oval gold ring, went to Mr Lawrie for 13gs. An old gold watch, with engraved chatelaine, with emeralds, pearls, and diamonds, fetched £28. An antique watch, in the form of a cross with cut glass round it, realised £10. A large silver watch, by Zacharius of Leipzig, fetched £24; and a small silver watch and one like a ball sold together for £5. An oval watch by Duchene in gold case brought £5 15s, and another, formed like a heart, £5. A very small enamelled watch, in the form of a lute, fetched 14gs, and one shaped like a tower £6 10s. A very small watch in a gold ring, set with diamonds, was soon run up to 50gs, and bought by Mr Boore. A circular clock watch, by Leonardie, fetched 5 1/2 gs, and a gold watch by Ulrich, Hamburg, 17gs. A watch by Lergy, Paris, in Dresden porcelain case, brought £20, and an antique table clock of metal gilt, formed as a crucifix, 12gs. An eight-day clock by Harrison, withthe original gridiron pendulum, of which he was the inventor, with the wheel work of oak, ran up to £35. An astronomical timepiece, showing mean solar and sidereal time, on celestial and terestrial globes, in motion, by Shearer, London, was knocked down for 70gs to Mr Boore. A remarkable timepiece, with the moving power in the end of the hour hands, made by McNab, Perth, fetched 15gs, and an old English clock, in tall case, 11gs.

More carvings in ivory came next. An early gothic carving of the Crucifixion fetched £4, and a triptych, carved with canopies, gothic, early 14th century, 41 gs. Another of the Crucifixion went at 4 1/2 gs, and a group in full relief of Christ led by soldiers, at 35 gs. Moses and the brazen serpent, German, 17th century work, went for 5 gs. A group of two infant angels, holding a cross, fetched £5 10s, and a skull, admirably carved, 11 gs. Carvings in wood came next. A boxwood frieze, carved with a battle subject of the 16th century, went to Mr Marks for £22 10s. A powder flask, formed as two dogs, mounted in silver, fetched 19 gs. A boxwood nutcraker, exhibited at Leeds, brought 9 gs; and another, a grotesque figure, £2 12s 6d. A handsome pair of brackets, carved as busts of a boy and girl, went for 12 gs. A group of the dead Christ and the Virgin, under a canopy, engraved with the monogram of Albert Durer, realised 21 gs. A pair of small boxwood medallions of Luther and his wife fetched £2, and a circular powder flask as many guineas. A pair of figures, after Durer, sold for 5 gs; and then an oval sopra porta panel, carved with figures, for 12 1/2 gs. A large panel of the same kind followed, with amorini as blacksmiths at a forge, at 13gs. A handsome tobacco pipehead, mounted with silver, time of Louis XVI, bought £26, going to Mr Lawrie, and another which followed, 6 gs. A fine Spanish boxwood crucifix, 12 1/2 inches high, fetched 5 1/2 gs. A pair of statuettes of man and woman, in various coloured woods, sold for 12 gs. A pair of Venetian groups, each four feet high, of amorini gambolling on the back of a lion, were knocked down to Mr David for 150 gs. A vase of old Oriental celadon porcelain, formed as two lotus flowers, was speedily run up to £300, and bought by Mr Wertheimer. A frieze for a comb, of Roman shell cameo, sold for 14 gs, and an old buhl box for 11 gs. An Italian coffer of carved bone and marqueterie sold for 9 1/2 gs. A small ebony altar piece, with plaques of enamel on gold, and a miniature of a Queen of Spain, by Lapi, from the Bernal collection, went for £16.

Then came some additions to the catalogue. A tortoiseshll box sold for 2 gs. A small silver-mounted casket went for 7 1/2 gs. A mother-of-pearl box fetched £1 12s, and a group of two amorini in boxwood, 7 gs. A fine monstrance sold for 19 gs, and some antique earrings for £3 7s 6d. Oriental carvings in ivory followed. Two groups, one of a woman and three children, fetched £2 15s. A group of two warriors went for £3, and a group of figures amd foliage for £7. A pair of match pots went for £4 10s. A pair of buckles, carved with dragons, fetched £5 2s 6d. Then came set of chessmen at 12 gs, and next a set of Chinese concentric balls, richly carved and perforated, 5 1/2 inches in diameter, at 18 gs.

The total amount realised today was £2210, which brings the grand total up to £42,679.

Fireworks from the Gareloch

GREENOCK TELEGRAPH AND CLYDE SHIPPING GAZETTE

WEDNESDAY 27 AUGUST 1884

FIREWORKS AT SHANDON

The expectation of witnessing a display of fireworks designed by Mr Pain, of Crystal Palace fame, and who had entrusted to him lately the illuminations which were a feature of the International Health Exhibition, London, and has presently in charge the pyrotechnics of the Forestry Exhibition at Edinburgh, took large numbers on board the Ivanhoe and other steamers chartered by Captain Williamson last night. These chartered steamers were not a few, the captain of the Ivanhoe having, in order to secure to all of his coast patrons an opportunity of seeing the latest novelties in fireworks, engaged ten other steamers. The evening, though slightly chilly,was calm and clear, and the scene in the Gareloch as the different steamers, with cabin windows, etc, all aglow, arrived and took up positions off the point of interest, was in itself worth going to see.

Suddenly there was fired from the bows of the Ivanhoe a rocket, which burst and dissolved in a cloud of coloured stars, and before the light of these had died away the loch was brilliantly illuminated by a changing-coloured light on same steamer. This was but the signal to open the programme, and soon on the pier, on the rising ground above, and even on the water, were displayed a series of effects which almost defy description. The novelty of the devices and set pieces was most striking, and these called forth many expressions of admiration from the spectators. The rockets, shells, Roman candles, and other serial feu d’artifice, were superior to any we have seen in the West of Scotland. While there was much of grandeur in many of the devices, such as that of ‘the Falls of Niagara’, great beauty was the feature of others, and among the latter might be noticed ‘the Bombardment of Alexandria’, a triumph of pyrotechnic skill. The device of the ‘pigeon cotes’, where fiery birds flew to and fro, was a most ingenious piece of workmanship. The illumination of the woods by vari-coloured fires was a grand effect, and raised the admiration of the spectators to the highest pitch. The element of amusement was not wanting in the programme, and was seen in the erratic movements of the aquatic fireworks and the funny performances of ‘Jumbo’s’ trunk and tail, between which by the bye it was rather hard to distinguish. The set wheels and stars were very large and beautiful, and reflected much credit on Mr Pain, their designer. A discharge of rockets, forming a bouquet of many-coloured flowers, was a magnificent finale to a most successful display.

Captain Williamson deserves unqualified praise for introducing so skilful a pyrotechnist to the West, and whose services should be in demand in the future. The Ivanhoe returned at 10.40 to Prince Pier. It is estimated that not fewer than seven or eight thousand witnessed the exhibition. It will be noticed from our advertising columns that a similar display will be given by the same artist on Thursday evening, under ‘Ivanhoe’ auspices, which will doubtless again attract a great rush of people.