Motor accident involving Mr Brown of Summerhill

Dundee Evening Post 9 September 1901

Pathetic Glasgow fatality

A distressing motor fatality has occurred near Bearsden, Glasgow. A little boy named Archie Gillen, aged about 5 years, son of John Gillen, Garscadden, was, along with some other children, running along the road when he got right in front of a motor driven by Mr Albert Brown, Summerhill, Shandon. Mr Brown promptly swerved his car right round so as to avoid an accident, but the splash-board struck the boy on the head and he was knocked down.

Taking the little fellow into his motor, Mr Brown, who was very much distressed at what had occurred, drove him to Bearsden, where Dr Kennedy found that life was extinct. The boy had a leg and arm broken, as well as a fractured skull.

Aldonaig – a fire and an advertisement

The Scotsman 10 July 1899

Fire on Garelochside

Yesterday afternoon the roof of Aldonaig House, situated between Row and Shandon, occupied by Miss Dundas, was discovered to be on fire, and the Helensburgh fire brigade was summoned.

Before the arrival of the brigade, however Mr F C Buchanan and a number of Row people got a hose attached to the water main, and succeeded in getting the fire under, without any great damage being done.

The Scotsman 26 August 1920

House – tablemaid wanted, 3 ladies and 3 maids kept; quiet place’ small house. Apply Mrs Hamilton Dundas, Aldonaig, Row, near Helensburgh.

World War 1 and the sons of Reverend Hugh Miller

Daily Record 1 October 1915

Shandon officer killed

It has been officially reported by the War Office that Lieut. Ian M Miller, 2nd Argylls, and younger son of the Rev Hugh Miller, MA, Shandon, UF Church, has been killed in action n Belgium.

Lieut. Miller was educated at Larchfield and Merchiston Castle Schools. He joined Glasgow University in session 1913-14, and was a member of the Officers’ Training Corps. On the outbreak of the war he volunteered for foreign service and was appointed Second-Lieutenant.

While with his regiment at Woolwich he was promoted First Lieutenant and transferred to the second Battalion.

Lieut. Miller, who was in his 21st year, met his death whole leading his men on in an attack on the German trenches. He had been in the trenches since early in January. Mr Miller’s other son is serving as a Second Lieutenant with the Clyde Garrison Artillery.

Western Times 9 October 1916

Lieut. W Douglas Miller, Royal Flying Corps, elder son of Rev Hugh Miller, Shandon, Dumbartonshire, is officially reported missing from October 2nd. Lieut. Miller who is 23, went to France some weeks ago and was flying daily over the German lines.

Daily Record 22 November 1916

Officer’s death

Lieut W Douglas Miller (RGA and RFC), Shandon who has been killed.

Hamilton Advertiser 15 December 1917

There was unveiled on Saturday afternoon in Shandon UF Church a tablet in memory of Lieutenant W Douglas Miller, RGA and RFC, and Lieutenant Ian M MIller, 2nd A and S H, the only sons of the Rev Hugh Miller, MA, minister of the Church.

Both young officers were killed in action. The tablet is the gift of Mr George S MacLellan, uncle of the deceased officers.

Shandon Hydro in Winter

Fife Herald 18 December 1879

Shandon hydropathic establishment unrivalled winter residence.

Sheltered from north and east winds. Extensive private pleasure grounds with large conservatory, vineries, gardens etc. Turkish vapour, salt and fresh water baths, including large swimming bath, heated.

Terms from 55s. Prospectus on application. Address – the manager, West Shandon, by Helensburgh.

Professor William Swan – Ardchapel

William Swan was born in Edinburgh in 1818 to David Swan, an engineer,and Janet Smith. When David Swan died in 1821, William became his mother’s chief focus and Janet Smith was acquainted with Thomas Carlyle the philosopher. William’s maternal uncle was Robert Stevenson, the lighthouse engineer.

William was educated privately in Edinburgh, became a science tutor, taught mathematics and physics in the Free Church Normal School in Edinburgh and taught those same subjects at the Scottish Naval and Military Academy in Edinburgh. He then was appointed Professor of Natural Philosophy at St Andrews University, before retiring due to ill health in 1880.

Professor Swan received honorary degrees from Edinburgh and St Andrews Universities and was a fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.

Professor Swan married Georgina Cullen in 1859 but they had no children.

Georgina died at Ardchapel in 1882:

Fifeshire Journal 13 April 1882

‘At Ardchapel, Dumbartonshire, on the 8th inst., Georgina Frances Downie Cullen, wife of William Swan, LLD, Emeritus Professor in the University of St Andrews’.

Professor Swan died at Ardchapel in 1894:

Dundee Courier 2 March 1894

‘Emeritus Professor Swan who held the Chair of Natural Philosophy in St Andrews University for twenty years, died yesterday after a short illness at his residence, Ardchapel, Shandon, Dunbartonshire’.

Ardchapel was advertised as for sale 2 months later:

The Scotsman 2 May 1894

‘Desirable coast residence for sale.

For sale by public roup, within the Faculty Hall, Saint George’s Place, Glasgow, on Wednesday 9th May 1894, at 2 o’clock afternoon (unless previously disposed of privately), Ardchapel, Shandon, the residence of the late Professor Swan, LLD, beautifully situated on the shores of the Gareloch. The buildings, which are substantial, and in good order, consist of (1) two storey villa, containing 3 public rooms, 5 bedrooms, 2 dressing-rooms, 2 bathrooms (hot and cold water), kitchen, scullery, servants’ room and other accommodation; (2) coachman’s house, 3-stalled stable, 2 coach-houses, harness-room, large hay loft, byre etc and washing-house and laundry (3) entrance lodge containing 2 rooms etc.

The grounds extend to about 5 1/2 acres, well laid out in ornamental plots and garden ground, with conservatory, vineries etc. There are also many valuable trees and shrubs in the gardens. Feu-duty £44. The whole property is in excellent order and forms a most desirable coast residence.

For further particulars and orders to view, apply to R & J M Hill, Brown & Co, Writers, 41 West George Street, Glasgow’.

Professor Swan and Georgina Cullen are buried in Warriston Cemetery in Edinburgh:

John Jamieson of Shandon House

Glasgow Herald 13 October 1871

The late Mr John Jamieson of Shandon

This well-known citizen was buried yesterday in the Necropolis. The funeral services were conducted at his residence on the Gareloch, and it was apparent from the numerous and deeply interested companies of mourners both at Shandon and Glasgow that there are very many in the west of Scotland to whom Mr Jamieson’s removal from us will be matter of sincere regret.

For the last twelve years Mr Jamieson has lived in comparative retirement, but not a few of our readers will recollect the active interest he at one time took in public affairs. He was treasurer to that excellent institution the Royal Infirmary, occupied the Dean of Guild’s chair for two years, and did other important service to the community. His admirable business habits, strict conscientiousness, and general activity, fitted him peculiarly for such public work as he took in hand. His work was always well done, Mr Jamieson was a native of Port Glasgow, and more than one member of his family removed to Glasgow in early life, and rose to mercantile distinction here. He was long a leading partner in the firm of Paterson, Jamieson & Co, and conducted his extensive business transactions with the greatest energy, probity and good faith. What was dishonest or mean he abhorred. His integrity as a merchant was without a spot.

Mr Jamieson was also a true friend, and a very warm-hearted man. A temper that could be hasty and manners that seemed distant did injustice at times to his real character. The mellowing influence, however of advancing years and high principle was very happily apparent in his case, and the thorough kindness of his nature, as well as its sterling worth, will be universally appreciated.

In politics Mr Jamieson was a decided Liberal, and ecclesiastically he was an attached member of the United Presbyterian Church; but he was neither a partisan nor a bigot. He was lover of good men, to whatever party or Church they belonged.

He was spared, in the full possession of his faculties, to see nearly four-score years. The quiet evening of his long life, cheered by the best of all hopes, came at last very gently and peacefully to a close.

Hatches, Matches and Dispatches Part 1

Dear blog reader

This is the first part in a new series of Shandon hatches, matches and dispatches that have appeared in the newspapers.

I have always found such finds very exciting in my own 30 years of family history research and I hope this helps anyone doing similar Shandon-based research.

Please note that for privacy reasons all entries will be 100 years old and over.

(Glossary: inst/instant means of the present month, ult/ultimo means of last month)

Births

Glasgow Herald 30 August 1864

At the Free Church Manse, Shandon, on the 27th instant, the wife of the Rev A  McCallum; a son.

Glasgow Herald 15 May 1865

At Summerhill, Shandon, on the 13th inst, Mrs Robt McCallum; twin sons.

Glasgow Herald 20 October 1865

At the Free Manse, Shandon, on the 18th instant, the wife of the Rev A M MacCallum, a son.

Glasgow Herald 14 July 1866

At Shandon, Gareloch, on the 12th inst, Mrs Neil Kennedy jun, 42 Kelvingrove Street, Glasgow; a daughter.

Glasgow Herald 20 September 1866

At the Free Church Manse, Shandon, on the 17th instant, the wife of the Rev A Murray McCallum; a son.

Glasgow Herald 21 March 1868

At the Manse, Shandon, on the 19th instant, the wife of the Rev A Murray MacCallum; a son.

Glasgow Herald 24 May 1870

At Greenhill, Shandon, on the 22nd inst, the wife of John B Cowan, MD; a son.

Glasgow Herald 7 February 1871

At Shandon Manse, on the 4th inst, the wife of the Rev A Murray MacCallum; a daughter.

Glasgow Herald 25 June 1872

At Shandon Manse, on the 22nd inst, the wife of the Rev A Murray MacCallum; a son.

Dundee Evening Telegraph 5 September 1898

At Broomfield Cottage, Shandon, Dumbartonshire, on the 1st inst, the wife of Archibald Thomson, gardener, of a daughter.

Marriages

Glasgow Herald 24 August 1849

At West Shandon, Dumbartonshire, on the 22nd instant, by the Rev Dr Napier, William Rigby Esq of Portsmouth, to Jane, second daughter of Robert Napier Esq, of Shandon, engineer, Glasgow

Chester Chronicle 6 May 1854

25th ult, at Shandon by the Rev Dr Napier, Graham Wilkin Esq, to Isabella, third daughter of Robert Napier, Esq, of West Shandon, Dumbartonshire

Caledonian Mercury 13 July 1857

At 2 Carlton Court, Glasgow, on the 16th inst, by the Rev Mr Brodie, Shandon, Mr James Hutchison, New York to Mary Ann, daughter of David Wallace Esq.

Glasgow Herald 21 November 1867

At Shandon, Dumbartonshire, on the 20th inst, by the Rev Alexander McEwen DD, John M Martin, younger, of Auchendennan, Dumbartonshire, to Isabella, second daughter of John Jamieson, Esq, Shandon

The same wedding:

Pall Mall Gazette 25 November 1867

Martin-Jamieson – At Shandon, Dumbartonshire, Mr J M Martin, younger, of Auchendennan, Dumbartonshire, to Isabella, second daughter of Mr J Jamieson, Shandon, 20th inst.

Glasgow Herald 16 September 1869

At Stuckenduff, Shandon, on the 14th inst, bythe Rev John Laurie Fogo, Row, Mr George Harvie, chemist, Helensburgh to Joanna Thomson Hendry, granddaughter of Henry Taylor Esq, Stuckenduff

North British Daily Mail 4 August 1877

Primrose – Taylor – At Stuckenduff, Shandon on the 2nd inst, by the Rev John Lawrie, assisted by the Rev John Webster, Mr Edward Primrose, ironmonger, to Jane, youngest daughter of the late Henry Taylor, Esq, merchant, Glasgow

Glasgow Herald 1 November 1898

McLachlan – At Laigh Bolernick, Shandon, on the 24th Oct., William McLachlan, farmer, in his 78th year – Funeral on Thursday from Laigh Bolernick at 1.30pm, and from the West Free Church, Helensburgh at 2.30, to Helensburgh Cemetery – Friends, kindly accept of this (the only) intimation – Australian and American papers, please copy.

Deaths

Glasgow Herald 26 May 1848

At West Shandon, on the 25th instant, Robert Napier, jun, in his twentieth year

Caledonian Mercury 7 November 1859

At Ballernich Cottage, West Shandon, on the 4th inst, Margaret, only daughter of George Robertson, engineer, Glasgow

Glasgow Herald 21 October 1865

At the Free Church Manse, Shandon, on the 19th inst, the infant son of the Rev A M MacCallum.

Dundee Advertiser 24 October 1865

At the Free Church Manse, Shandon, on the 19th inst, the infant son of the Rev A M MacCallum.

Glasgow Herald 6 January 1873

At Shandon House, Dumbartonshire, on the 4th inst, Agnes Ritchie Miller, widow of John Jamieson Esq, of Shandon – Friends will please accept of this intimation.

North British Daily Mail 28 January 1873

Taylor – At Stuckenduff, Shandon, on the 27th inst, Henry Taylor Esq, aged 89 years – Friends will please accept this intimation.

Glasgow Herald 1 March 1895

Cochrane – At Chapelburn, Shandon on the 27th inst, aged 57 years, Miss Elizabeth Cochrane.

Glasgow Herald 4 March 1897

Baillie – At Shandon Cottage, Shandon, on the 3rd inst, Violet Beith, in her 86th year, relict of John Baillie.

Glasgow Herald 1 November 1898

Mclachlan – At Laigh Bolernick, Shandon, on the 30th Oct, William McLachlan, farmer, in his 79th year – Funeral on Thursday from Laigh Bolernick at1.30pm and from the West Free Church, Helensburgh at 2.30 to Helensburgh Cemetery – Friends, kindly accept of this (the only) intimation – Australian and American papers, please copy.

Death at Lagbuie

Glasgow Herald 10 July 1900

The announcement of the death of Mr Andrew Jackson Kirkpatrick which appears today in our obituary, will be read with feelings of deep regret by a wide circle of friends. The sad event was not wholly unexpected. About six months ago Mr Kirkpatrick had a paralytic seizure, but he recovered so far that he was able to be removed in the beginning of last month from his house in Park Terrace to Lagbuie, Shandon, where the family usually spend the summer months. The improvement in his health continued and he was sufficiently well to enjoy a drive in the beginning of the week. A relapse subsequently took place, from which he failed to rally, and he passed away peacefully at an early hour yesterday morning.

Mr Kirkpatrick was the son of Mr Thomas Kirkpatrick, who carried on business for many years in Glasgow, and was trained in the firm of which he ultimately became the principal partner. When he entered it as a boy it was known under the title of Messrs Robertson & Caldwell, chemical brokers and merchants, afterwards becoming Caldwell & Middleton. On the retirement of Mr Caldwell, Mr Middleton, who will be remembered as one of the members for Glasgow, assumed Mr Kirkpatrick as a partner, and after the death of Mr Middleton the title of the firm was changed to Messrs A J Kirkpatrick & Co.

Mr Kirkpatrick was also a member of the firm of Messrs Kirkpatrick & Barr, coal exporters, Newcastle, and of Messrs Kirkpatrick, Barr & Guthrie, merchants, London.

Though actively engaged as the head of a large and successful business, in the conduct of which he earned universal esteem, Mr Kirkpatrick found time in which to do much useful public work. In the promotion of the interests of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, in particular, he took a deep interest, and not a little of the success of its latter years has been due to his labours, to the unassuming dignity, tact, and courtesy with which he discharged the varied duties entrusted to him. From 1889 to 1898 he filled the office of chairman of the council, and in the latter year he was elected president. He was a liberal patron of the fine arts, and possessed a valuable collection of paintings, many of which in successive years have graced the walls of the exhibition. He was a member of the executive of the approaching International Exhibition, and was chosen to fill the office of sub-convener of the oil paintings section.

Mr Kirkpatrick was also a lover of books, and a discriminating collector. He was convener of the committee which carried through so successfully the recent Burns Exhibition.

In municipal affairs Mr Kirkpatrick never took any prominent part; he was more identified with political movements as a consistent supporter of the Conservative party, and he was some time since appointed vice-president of the Junior Conservative Club. He was a Justice of the Peace for the County of City of Glasgow, and a director of several industrial and commercial concerns. He was a member of the Free Church – in the city being connected with Renfield Free Church, which he has been for a number of years an elder in the Free Church of Shandon. Mr Kirkpatrick leaves a widow and a family of three sons and four daughters.

Shandon architecture

Alt-na-Coille/Woodburn House

Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house with later 19th century, single storey, canted bay to outer left. Squared and snecked whinstone with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips.

Originally called Woodburn House.

Ardchapel

Named after the ancient Chapel which was sited north east of the railway line. Built in 1854 by James Smith and extended in 1865.

2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house with later single storey, canted bay to outer left. Squared and snecked whinstone with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips.

Ardgare

A large Italianate mansion which had a decorative scheme designed by J J Burnet in 1884. Demolished around 1980.

Ardlarich

1937 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan Arts and Crafts house. Painted harl with ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; string course; battered cills.

Aldonaig associated with Broomknowie

Aldonaig is an earlier to mid 19th century house with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled, rambling-plan house. Rendered with chamfered, golden sandstone margins; chamfered arrises and quoin strips. Projecting bracketted eaves.

Broomknowie is now demolished but both Aldonaig and Broomknowie reputedly formed the headquarters of a large company of distillers in an area notorious for illicit whisky distillation.

Blairvadach/Blairvadoch

Designed around 1850 by J T Rochead for Sir James Anderson, Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1846 to 1851.

2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan, Scots Baronial house with square keep. Stugged, squared and snecked, honey-coloured sandstone with ashlar margns and dressings. Stop-chamfered reveals; base course; string course; triangular pedimented dormerheads; crowstepped gables.

Subsequently sold to the Donaldson family of shipping fame, then used as a children’s home and finally used as council offices.

Braidhurst

Designed in 1977 by Michael Charles Henderson.

Chapelburn

Early 19th century with a cottage-feel.

Coach-house and stables (formerly belonging to Bashley)

The remains of the demolished Bashley. An 1880 courtyard arch remains.

Cragmhor/Cragmore

Built around 1830 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan villa set on raised plateau. Harl with sandstone margins and dressings. Chamfered reveals. Strip quoins; eaves band; base course, band course. Windows directly under eaves; projecting eaves bracketted eaves. Noted for its winter garden.

Croy

1834, designed by Sinclair of Caithness. with mid 19th century billiard room addition (1865) at south. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled Tudor-gothic, rambling-plan villa. Rendered with sandstone margins and quoin strips. Ornamental bargeboards. Chamfered reveals. Tudor hoodmoulds.

The associated lodge is earlier 19th century. Single storey, asymmetrical, Gothic lodge. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar margins and quoin strips. Pointed arch windows with chamfered reveals; roll-moulded surrounds. Eaves band; base course; string course. Projecting bracketted eaves.

Gareside Cottage

An Arts and Crafts era gamekeeper’s cottage.

Glenfeulan

An early 19th century classical house.

Earlier 19th century with additions to rear and south of late 19th century and early 20th century. Single storey over raised basement, 3-bay block with bay to south and 2 bay wing to north; rectangular-plan villa; conservatory attached at south end. Harling with yellow sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; band course; eaves band and cornice; strip quoins. Figurative urns. Architraved openings to principal elevation.

Gullybridge House

A late Victorian fishing lodge.

Inverallt/Shandon Bank

Earlier 19th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan cottage. Rubble with painted ashlar sandstone dressings and margins to main elevation and red sandstone margins to side elevations. Projecting eaves; base course; quoin strips.

The separate cottage is built around 1840. Single storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan cottage with bay addition and outbuildings recessed to right. Whinstone rubble with sandstone margins. Eaves band; quoin strips; base course; overhanging eaves.

The cottage was originally named Shandon Bank and is possibly the summer cottage belonging to Robert Napier before he built West Shandon.

Letrualt

Named after the Gaelic for mill. Built in 1855 and extended in 1864.

Linnburn

Began in 1836 by Samuel McCall, a Glasgow merchant. Remodelled in 1884.

2 storey with attic, asymmetrical villa with Baronial and Jacobethan details. Harled with sandstone margins and dressings. Chamfered arrises. String courses. Base course. Corbel cornice. Hoodmoulds.

Linnburn Cottage

Originally the Linnburn stable block. Converted by Jack Notman for T Campbell Lawson in 1972.

Manse

Erected in 1844 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled, former manse to adjoining former Church. Whinstone with sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Chamfered reveals. Base course, cill course, quoin strips, decorative bargeboards.

Lagbuie

Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Harl with painted ashlar sandstone margins and dressings; base course; eaves band; quoin strips; projecting bracketted eaves.

Letrualt

1855 house, extended 1864. 2-storey, 5-bay asymmetrical villa with single storey block and conservatory to north; rambling- plan villa; Jacobethan details. Painted harl with sandstone ashlar dressings and margins. Base course; quoin strips; string course; hoodmoulds; bipartites, stone mullions; chamfered reveals; eaves cornice.

Oakbank

Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Painted harl with sandstone margins and dressings. Base course, eaves band, quoin strips. Projecting bracketted eaves.

The Gables aka Greenhill

Mid 19th century. 2-storey, asymmetrical, rambling-plan, gabled villa with Baronial details built into rising ground at east. Sandstone and whinstone rubble with pinnings; droved sandstone margins and dressings; chamfered arrises. Base course; quoin strips.

Originally called Greenhill.

Shandon Church

Erected in 1844 whilst the congregation met temporarily in the malt house of a nearby distillery. Designed by John Burnett with an addition in 1883 designed by William Landless. Behind the Church, the school and schoolmaster’s house, later the Church reading rooms, were built in 1845-6 and designed by John Burnet.

Steeple reduced and the building converted into flats in 1984.

Originally rectangular-plan hall Church, now T-plan with tower, tower and transepts added in 1883 additions, along with porch and buttresses. Rubble sandstone and whin with ashlar quoin strips and dressings. Base course. Eaves band.

Shandon House

Designed by in 1849 by Charles Wilson for William Jamieson. Wilson was one of the most fashionable architects in the Glasgow area in the 1840s. 

2-storey with attic, asymmetrical, rambling-plan, Baronial house with Jacobethan details. Coarse cement render with ashlar dressings and margins. Base course. Crowstepped gables. With a series of Victorian alterations and additions including in 1883 by John Honeyman.

A reform school from 1965 to 1986 then sold to the Ministry of Defence.

Stuckenduff

Earlier 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay rectangular- plan villa. Painted harl with sandstone dressings and margins. Base course; timber eaves course; quoin strips.

Stuckenduff was built as the dower house of the former Italianate mansion of Ardgare which was demolished around 1980. Stuckenduff coach house and stables, which also formed part of the Ardgare estate, lie to the north-west of the house. 

Stuckenduff coach house and stables are earlier 19th century. Single and 2-storey Italianate range of coach house, stables and office buildings. Rectangular-plan with 2 projecting wings forming inverted F-plan ; campanile tower and glass houses. Painted harl with droved honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings.

War Memorial

Designed in 1920 by A N Paterson & Stoddart. Red sandstone Celtic cross with 3-stage shaft; ring cross head and pedestal base; Art Nouveau detailing. Relocated away from the Church when the Church was converted into flats.

West Shandon

Funded by Robert Napier the marine engineer and used to house his vast collection of art and books.

The house was started in 1851 and designed by J T Rochead.

After Robert Napier’s death in 1860, the house and grounds became the Shandon Hydropathic. Thereafter the building was used as an emergency hospital then as a hotel.

In 1960 the building was demolished and the grounds cleared as part of the development of the submarine base. The south lodge still survives.

The south lodge was designed by J T Rochead in 1852. Single storey and attic, Jacobethan former lodge to West Shandon House. T-plan with entrance tower in re-entrant angle. Lime-washed rubble with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings. Shaped gables; hoodmoulds; quoin strips; blank plaques; decorative finials.

New Pier at Shandon

Glasgow Herald 6 October 1886

From the time when steamers first began to ply on the Gareloch there was a ferryboat station in connection with them at Shandon, where all of the steamers used to call. For the long period of half a century the Shandon ferry continued under the management of Mr Duncan McKinlay, who still survives.

But in 1882 the erection of Craigendoran steamboat harbour by the North British Railway Company, involving the calling of their Gareloch steamer both at Craigendoran and Helensburgh, led to its withdrawal from the Shandon ferryboat station. This for a period of fully four years has been felt by the inhabitants of the Shandon district, the most populous on the east shore of the Gareloch between Row and Garelochhead, to be a very great inconvenience, and to supply a want, amounting in many cases to a positive hardship, the new pier now completed at Shandon has been erected by the following neighbouring proprietors:- Messrs Henry Bell, Summerhill; William L Brown, Linnburn; John J Kerr, Ardgare; Andrew C Henderson, Shandon; Andrew J Kirkpatrick, Lagbuie; William Swan LLD, Ardchapel; and William J Walker, Garemount.

In terms of an agreement made by the promoters of the pier with the trustees of the late Sir James Colquhoun, Baronet, the pier, as now completed, is handed over to them, and becomes their sole property as a portion of the Colquhoun trust estates, to be used and maintained by the trustees on the same conditions as their other piers on the Gareloch. The new pier, situated at a point on the shore directly opposite Shandon Free Church, has been erected solely at the expense of the promoters above-named, and including the obtaining of a feu-disposition for its site from the Board of Trade, and other necessary expenses, will cost them, it is understood, somewhere about £1500.

The piles throughout are of greenheart timber, faced and coped at the pierhead with elm wood. The structure is an exceedingly handsome one. The gangway and terminal platform are of creosoted pitch-pine, and on the pierhead there is a commodious waiting-room and piermaster’s office and store-room. The pier has been built by Messrs Watt & Wilson, contractors, from a design by Mr W R Copeland, CE. Now that it is completed, it should afford to the inhabitants of the surrounding district the means of easy communication with Helensburgh and Greenock, and thus also with the Clyde river steamers generally, of which the want has been of late years so severely felt by them.